Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dan

Golf Swing

I am teaching my oldest son to golf and my younger son always wants to hit balls at the range with us. I was told that learning to hit a golf ball can really mess up his baseball swing. I really have him hitting the baseball great and don't want to do anything to mess up his baseball swing after all the hard work he has put in. Did anyone ever hear that learning to golf can be bad for a baseball swing. Does anyone have kids that play baseball and golf and was it a problem to teach them two different swings.

My son (7YO) plays both...well he sorta plays golf....however, he swings the golf club right-handed and the baseball bat left-handed.

The swings are similar and yet different...thus why my son switches sides. Golf requires an even level swing bringing the upper body into play and minimizing the lower body...baseball swing is opposite.

Many MLB play both...so I don't really know how to answeer your question...except to say that I wouldn't let him do one while playing the other. In our house there is no golf until baseball season is over.

I played baseball at the collegiate level and just graduated. I'm very competitive and trying to pick up the game of golf. The swings are similar but different. I had a very difficult time getting the golf ball in air since my baseball swing came down on the ball, providing good back spin, which increases distance. After going to a course with firends over the summer, I always found my baseball swing a little off, and had to take time to correct it. No matter what, each swing needs repetiition.....leading to muscle memory. In all, I would say that the swings contradict each other. However, I don't know if I'd limit a young athlete to only do one of the sport!