Y-coach.com - Forum
entrack

Drill For Shooting Accurately

Does anyone know of a good drill to help kids shoot more accurately?

I know you are supposed to kick with the shoe lace part of the foot when shooting at the net but many kids are still missing the net (including myself sometimes). Is this something that either comes naturally or just needs to be practiced a lot?

Thanks.

Ron

Hi there. Remember not every shot has to be ripped. I have a many drills I use for all my teams but the first thing I teach them about shooting is to pass the ball into the net. One of my favourite drills is to stand at the side of the goal with a few balls, then I have one kid at a time jog from about 20 yards out with a ball under control. At the penalty spot I have them shoot, they continue their run and I pass in one of the balls I have so that they have to hit it first time. I make it a little competition. If they score at least one goal they stay in the game. If they don't score any they are out and must do ball work, such as juggling. If any player scores with both shots he can choose to fetch one of the players back into the game. This game also works the goalkeeper as he is faced with shot after shot and he quickly learns how to set himself. I sometimes have the players take the second shot with the weaker foot. My kids love this game and ask to play it as much as possible. I have many drills for shooting if you care to email me.

I don't know how old your kids are, but if they are old enough to understand it you can set up boards covering up the goal and have them dribble in and try to shoot through the boards.

With a little prompting from you they will understand that for better accuracy they need to point the plant foot in the direction of the kick and use the top of the foot instead of the point.

Try giving them a reward if they are successful. But never penalize them for missing.

Well just if u want a drill, You could put two of the corner flags in the goal about a foot and a half in from the posts on the goal line, set a ball on the ground resting against the goal post on the touch line, and hang two bibs/shirts/jackets in the upper corners. For the forwards of the team, knock them a ball to feet to take a simple turn and a shot, or a threw ball to run onto and have a strke. For the rest of the team have them pass into a checking player who lays it off preferably back to the sides of the player as aposed to a square ball, or knock it in to them from the sides, give them a touch and a shot. Make it a competition. A goal scored between the flags are no points, between the post and the flag is a point, hitting the balls or the bibs is two. Any shot over the goal is minus a point.

well it depends on the kids ages. my under 12s just have cones in the goal and they have to shoot for the center when we started the drill and a week weeks and about 6 practices in we started shooting for the outsides to teach them low and outside shooting skills which will beat goalies. they shoot from between the 18 and the pk spot and they dribble in about 15 yards before the shot to set up each foot and get eqwual practice.