Y-coach.com - Forum
Identcc

Assistant Coach Trouble

We won our first game this past weekend in a close battle. Unfortunately my offensive coach somehow got the impression that my suggestion (I'm head coach) for a play at 3rd and goal was second guessing him. Ultimately he came off the field after failing to score and giving the ball up on downs huffing and puffing, loudly and violently telling me that he was going to kick my ass, etc, etc. All I did was suggest a play. I don't know if it would have worked or not but the sad thing was, the kids on the sidelines heard him and some parents heard him, even though they couldn't everything we said on the sidelines. He also later complained about some calls the refs made on the field (not questionable in my opinion) and I even heard one say, "Yeah, and I throw flags because it's fun to do..."

This guy knows the game, but I'm noticing the beginnings of a lack of patience in our 8-9 year old team. He has seemed short in practice and I think the kids have noticed. I tried calling him later that day to talk about it but he never returned my call. Any suggestions about how to best handle this? We could certainly survive without him but I'd rather not if we don't have to.

Id

I am an OC for a HC that delegates very well. I like it that way…he deals with all the “stuff” and I have all the fun.

If my HC asks me to do something I do it. He doesn’t mettle but does suggest….if he suggests I typically comply. His suggestions are never stupid since he knows the team and everything that goes on as well as anyone.

If I told him I was gonna kick his ass during a game I would be driving home early. You should have done the same. It will get worse unless you never suggest which is your right at any time no matter what the situation.

I hate taking a knee at the end of a game and my HC knows it…yet he made me do it the last 3 games….I didn’t argue.

Coach Mike

That's the thing. My style is delegation and to me it's the best way because it lets me focus on the big picture and lets the assistants do what they were brought in to do which is why this was such a surprise. I'm tempted to send him packing tonight at practice since several people were witnesses but I'm also willing to tell him that if it happens again, he'll be history, just because I believe everyone can have a bad day. True, he needed to have left it at home if that were the case, but I need to set a president so it doesn't happen again.

Unfortunately my offensive coach somehow got the impression that my suggestion (I'm head coach) for a play at 3rd and goal was second guessing him. Ultimately he came off the field after failing to score and giving the ball up on downs huffing and puffing, loudly and violently telling me that he was going to kick my ass, etc, etc.

I have to ask why you consider this guy to be an asset to the team, with an attitude like that. This is a problem waiting to happen. At a minimum I would let this coach know that if he ever behaves in that manner again his services will know longer be required. I understand that we all have bad days and have done things that we are not real proud of but there is no room in youth sports for this type of behavior.

HI Coach'

You are the Head Coach, you can make any suggestion you want and your decision is final. If your assistant coach cannot handle it, cut him loose. At the end of the season it is the Head Coach who bears all of the responsibility for the teams record, not the assistants.

If your assistant won't talk with you than your decision has been made for you. Cut the guy loose. If he will talk with you, set it straight that YOU are the Head Coach and it is his position to listen to you. If he dosen't like it he can apply for the Head Coach position NEXT YEAR. It is the best thing to do for the kids and for yourself.

Good luck.

Coach A

I couldn't agree with Coach A's posting more. I know this guy hates the fact that he isn't head coach; though he never applied for it and as such, has to deal with whomever he is assigned. It just so happens to be this time. If he bothers to show tonight, I plan to tell him to deal with it or beat it. If he doesn't, problem solved.