Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
seyshell

Need Ideas For 1st & 2nd Graders

Hey everyone! My husband and I are coaching our son's 1st & 2nd grade basketball team. We were looking for ideas on something fun for the kids to do at the end of each practice. Some game or something that would be fun for them to keep them having fun and not seem like their working all the time. Any ideas even something w/ rewards would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

This is my first time teaching 1st and 2nd graders. Our first practice is tomorrow. One game that we will do is a ball handling game of tag. Each player has a ball and a person is 'it' and tries to tag another player. You set the boundaries of the area pretty small for young kids so it is not so hard to tag someone. You can make a rule that any ball that goes out of bounds that child is 'it'.

A book that I am using is "The confident coach's guide to teaching basketball" by Carroll. This book has this game and others in it, and drills for young players with good age appropriate notes.

I would appreciate it if anyone has any web resources for teaching kids this age.

Make sure you check out our drills database for some great drills.

Some things that we do that the younger kids seem to enjoy are quick small sided tournaments. 3v3, 2v2, etc. The first team to score wins and stays on the court. Once you have a chamption, switch the teams up and start over.

Dribble tag is also well received. Put two players inside the half court circle, and the free throw circles. Each player has a ball and must keep dribbling inside the circle while trying to knock the other players ball away. If a player dribbles outside of the cirlce they are out and the next player comes in.

there is a great new coaching series with a bunch of nba players that has some really good games and drills www.magicfundamentals.com hope that helps

I have this book as well, "The confident coach's guide to teaching basketball" by Carroll. Good Material in there.

I am 26 and have played baseball since T-ball and can coach that in my sleep with new and fun drills every practice. I got through Soccer for the last two years. But I never, ever in my Short White Guy played organized basketball and am not a fan. However, my son wants to play and I can coach kids so I picked up that book and have been able to have some good practices. Plus they are just 1st & 2nd grad co-ed fun loving kids. So we have a good time and make some baskets.

I will learn it all with the help of everyone on here!

Thanks!

Coach Matt