Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Clinton_Redskin

3-4 Grade Tackle Football

The youngest division we have is 8 yols or younger and not more than 95 lbs. My son's first season in our league he was 6, turned 7 after the 7th game of the season. He is now 12 and is playing his 5th year of tackle. If they are physically and mantally able to play at that age, why not?

BulldogJim.

Our league's ages are from 5 to 12 years old. The 5/6 year old division does play tackle football and has no weight restriction as far as being able to play. Kids 65 lbs and heavier must play on the 'O' or 'D' line though. This was my first year coaching and I had this age group and I saw no reason why kids can't play the game the way it was meant to be played......full pads and full contact.

We allow 6-7 year olds to play tackle football in our league of 12 teams.

They play on a running clock of 6-minutes per quarter. Each team has the ball for one quarter per half. A team is allowed 2 time-outs per half. The ball is placed at the 25 yard line. The offence must run as many plays as possible to go the 25 yards for a touchdown. If they have a turnover at any time then the ball is put back at the 25 and they try again. It's best to call a timeout after a touchdown so the ball can be reset at the 25 and you can try again. We allow 2 coaches on the field for each team. Usually 1 coach works with the line and the other works with the backs. Their are no extra points. A team just tries to score as many points as possible when on offence.

I just finished my first season of coaching and I had the joy of doing 3rd & 4th graders. we played tackle and know one got seriously injured. our first game had gone absoloutly horrible we played a team that had at least 7 positon coaches and was very organized i was clearly out coached and not prepared for the thrashing we recieved. but as the season progressed i sort of picked up on what other coaches were doing and learned a lot. my advice if you are going to make that changed is that flag is totally diffrent. so prepare yourself far in advanced as possible. second, be prepared for a lot of emoitions from your players, as they get upset very easily and take things very personally. thired, keep your practices interesting, as you probably already know kids that age don't exactly have the longest attetion span. fourth, stress team play, it comes in handy when you least expect it. fifth, make sure that the organization is stressing the best interest for the kids and not the adults. as you probly already know nothing can cause the atmosphere to go bad like adults can. sixth, use your best judgement if a players isn't ready for contact don't play him/her (despite the parents wishes). finally, keep it fun and your players will return for the next season and will bring more of thier friends. Good Luck