Y-coach.com - Forum
mjuliano

Timing For Getting Started In Youth Track

My 9 year old son has shown some promise in track by winning his annual grade school half mile and mile runs. I was also a middle distance runner in middle and high school. My question is whether or not to start him running at this age, or wait until he's older. In addition what type of workouts are appropriate given his age. I'm looking for any experience or resources/books that might deal with this topic.

My 9 year old son has shown some promise in track by winning his annual grade school half mile and mile runs. I was also a middle distance runner in middle and high school. My question is whether or not to start him running at this age, or wait until he's older. In addition what type of workouts are appropriate given his age. I'm looking for any experience or resources/books that might deal with this topic.

Mjuliano,

I would really recommend going to www.developingathletics.com that is a great starting point.

Have you checked into a local track & field club in your area? More often then not if you do some searching around your local area you can find a club. Make sure that you attend the first few practices at the very least and watch what they do if you feel comfortable with them I would reccommend signing him up.

Jack Gregory

Fasterthenlight