Coaching Youth Fooball - Football Plays
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
entrack

Motivating A 4 Year Old

7 posts in this topic

I have a 4 year old son that likes playing soccer with me in the back yard but refuses to let me sign him up in the rec league. Is there anything I can do to motivate him?

I'm not sure what he is afraid of. Is this something I have to wait until he outgrows?

Thanks.

Entrack.

Coaching Youth Fooball - Football Plays

Maybe your son is afraid of making a mistake when playing with others. After all, playing with mom or dad is a safe thing to do. Does he play with other kids in the neighborhood? Or just with you?

i agree with connie, i think that if your son were to play with some close friends he has in a closed environment with you and them in the backyard or a small park then maybe ###### get a feel for playing with other youths

Oh my goodness!

He's 4! 47 months ago (MONTHS!) he was still in utero! Who wants to play soccer, him or you?? He's probably only 18 months out of diapers, PLEASE let him be a baby while he can! Both my kids played soccer from kindergarden through 6th grade, on both select and club teams. Both have quit playing. At 12 YO they are burned out of a wonderful sport. Hind sight is 20/20. DON'T PUSH! Keep playing, keyword PLAYing. When you stress organization and compitition, you've lost it.

I have a 4 year old son that likes playing soccer with me in the back yard but refuses to let me sign him up in the rec league. Is there anything I can do to motivate him?

I'm not sure what he is afraid of. Is this something I have to wait until he outgrows?

Thanks.

Entrack.

Take him to a local rec game for his age group. Let him see how much fun the U5 boys are having, and he'll probably want to play himself. If he doesn't, then don't push him. If he's going to play, he'll play when he's ready.

My son watched his older sister play, and we couldn't stop from signing him up when it was time. He spent the first season running around on the field chasing the people chasing the ball, but he had fun. Then, during his second season everything clicked and he was unstoppable. He just started his third season, and he's playing position soccer at U6. His coach doesn't teach it yet, but he comes to my practices and is apparently listening. I only wish I could say the same for my U8 girls... :blink:

Shooter

Thanks.

Entrack.

I see you've written this at the beginning of the year. Any improvements?

Thanks.

Entrack.

Hi, I sympathise as my son (now 14) was very similar at the age of 4. He was daunted by the idea of doing even a soccer play scheme in the holidays but really enjoyed playing at home. We didn't pressurise him and eventually (when he was a couple of years older) he decided he did want to join the afterschool soccer club and go to the holiday play scheme run by the soccer club. It was a question of waiting until he was ready and had the confidence to go for it. One possible solution would be to arrange for friends' kids of the same age to meet up in the park and run an informal kickabout session for fun. If you go for this option, check out the fun soccer drills and games with specific age guidance on the footy4kids website http://www.footy4kids.co.uk/soccer_games_and_drills_by_age_goup.htm. Hope this helps.