Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
celticcoach

Nba Hurting Youth Basketball

I've had the NBA described to me as two guys playing one on one and eight other guys watching. Do you believe this kind of gives kids today the wrong idea about how the game should be played and also since there are so many players in the NBA who have discipline problems as well as on and off court attitude problems do you feel that kids not only emulate their favorite players on court skills but their poor attitudes toward team play and having the "its all about me" syndrome.

just thought i'd throw this out for any discussion

I believe the NBA had turned to that, (8 guys watching 2 guys play one-on-one) and thats one of the reasons the zone has been allowed.

If you watch teams like the Kings or Mavericks you will see lots of passing to get the open look. I love watching those two teams!

As far as the disipline problems go, I would think that with good parenting and good coaching, kids would realize that someone who is a great player on the court can be a complete idiot off it.

I do hope the NBA continues to come down hard on the on the court problems caused by people like Ron Artest and Rasheed wallace. Both are very good players, but they set a terrible example with their tantrums.

I have to agree that the NBA is usually a boring game to watch as the fundamentals are poor. Most of the players get away with poor fundamentals because they are so athletically gifted. It definately sends the wrong message to our youth, especially at the lower levels. I think once they get to the middle school and high school levels you don't see it as much as the coaches have more control over playing time.

I happen to be a fan of Rasheed Wallace and so I keep hoping and praying that he will turn things around and get control of his emotions while on the court. Unfortunately, I have been let down time and time again.

I think that the best team as far as fundamentals is the Utah Jazz. They are one of the few teams that are actually entertaining to watch as they are so fundamentally sound. You know what they are going to do and they still are successful.

It appalls me how NBA players present themselves these days. Some are thugs, criminals, and terrible sportsman. The worst part is that a lot of kids idolize the worst. Iverson is one of the HUGE favs among my 6th graders - I often wish that the league would be more active in reminding their players. If less were allowed to continue it would only help those coaches with the younger players coming up.

Michael Jordan with his flashy smile and great on-air persona has convinced millions of people that he's just the greatest guy in the world... a role model for all of our children to follow. Well that's a bunch of bull (no pun intended). He's one of the biggest phonies ever to endorse a pair of sneakers. No man who repeatedly and brazenly ignores his wedding vows and had girlfriends he sleeps with in every NBA city should be held up as a role model for our sons and daughters. Our kids need to learn that being a great ballplayer doesn't necessarily make you a great person, no matter how flashy your smile is, especially when you are being paid to smile in order to endorse a product. I hope that all coaches take the time to explain to their players, especially our impressionable young men, the difference between being a truly good man and merely being a good ballplayer.

Tim

NBA basketball is not one on one basketball. It is in fact a game of 2 on 2 basketball. The reason it is 2-2 basketball is because it's easier to score 2-2 then 5-5. High school basketball is played 5-5 because the players don't have the skill or athleticism that NBA players have. By keeping the floor spread, the defensive team is forced to play man to man and remain in the proxomity of their man, because if he is left open, he WILL make the open jump shot. Because all five players can score from everywhere, the teams are able to play two on two offensively, which is a no brainer since they will score more points doing so.

oh yeah, i agree.the nba is a joke when it comes to discipline. i have no idea how coaches and the front offices allow some of these guys to act.but they have to let these guys act their way or they are not going to be happy and leave. i tell my team to watch high school and college(but sometimes you watch college and its street ball for the whole game). think about it, if you were 12 again in todays nba what would we really learn? while the other team is fast breakin you stop and let them run by you to yell at the ref so you don't look bad!!! what a joke!!!!!

Hey I would have to agree the nba is really hurting these kids. I am really having a hard time getting my son to quit carrying the ball, but he is doing what he is watching and is favorite player is one who haas problems on and off the court. I think going back to the zone defense has forced some of the one on one games to go bacl stage alittle. That is just my opinion though. I had to kick to fifth grade boys off my team this last week because of attitude and lack of respect for me or the game. I hope I did the right thing... All the other kids on my team agreed that I had to do something.