Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
POLKRANGERS

Batter Struggling After Wild Pitch

Hello,I am a first year coach and enjoying evry minute.I coach 9-10 year old team.I need some advise on getting boy back to hitting after taking very hard wild pitch.I know from my experience how hard this is to get over.Happened to me,don't thank that i ever did get over it.The boy was one of my best batters now turns his head up and toward 3rd on every pitch.I was thanking about standing him up at plate with no bat and feed balls into machine having him watch every ball hit the catchers mitt.Asking for feed back on this and any other suggestions.thanks

This is a tough one and will just take some time. There are a few things you can try. Pitch some tennis balls at him and let him move out of the way on the bad ones but encourage him to stay in the box and hit the good pitches as he slowly develops his confidence back. You can also try putting him behind the backstop and have him stand in the what would be the box and watch the pitches come in.

More than anything you just have to get him back in there and keep encouraging him to stay in the box.

Charlie

Also keep in mind about what you said not ever getting over it. He may never get over it...My own son was the best hitter I had seen, he didn't have one strikeout during his 7&8 year old years. When he hit 9 and kids starting to pitch he was the victim of a bad pitch which struck him. He struck out every time up for almost the rest of the season. He then began stepping out in his 10 yr old season (a very habbit to break). He has gotten better but is still not the same.