Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jettrink

Unsportsman Like Celebrating

My son is in his 3rd year of little league baseball, 1st year of kids pitch. He is, according to his coach the best on the team as an all around player. He is only 1 of 3 kids on the team that pitches and does so successfully.

The problem is he has a habit of getting to excited and celebrates to much every time he throws a good pitch or strikes another child out. I try to explain to him that he needs to be a good winner as well as loser.

The parents on other teams get a bit irate at this and my wife and i feel it in the stands.

Any words of wisdom is helpful

You could be describing my 8 year old. Only he just pumps his fist a bit after every strike out when he pitches. He does this after a big hit or when he makes a good defensive play. I just tell him as long as he doesn't celebrate and keep it to a short fist pump he'll be alright. I like emotion to a game so as long as it maintains good sportsmanship.

Coach 5150

i guess i phrased it incorrectly. i guess my son is less about throwing it in the opponents face, more of his own personal celebration. Somewhat similar to your son's deal, with the fist pump. I think i let my wife get to me to mcuh about the other parents, but i witnessed it moreso during the basketball season, where my son scored 20 a game, and after the first few, less people were cheering for him. i felt that was a bit odd considering they are children and the parents sometimes forget it is not about them, but about the children and they take it to seriously.