Y-coach.com - Forum

I have a nine and ten year old girls team and would like them to start playing the "w." One problem, I don't know what in the heck it is! I have read some descriptions of it but can't seem to picture it in my mind. For one thing, every "w" I have ever seen has five points, not six. It would be great if someone could give me a very simple explanation of the "w," how best to introduce it to this age group.

Ron,

The 5 player receive formation, commonly called the "W" does only have five points, which are the approximate receiving base positions for everyone except your setter, who is positioned at the net in her setting position, or outside either the player in 2 or 4 if you are playing a 4-2 and switching your front row setter.

A simple way to set it up is to start by placing your position 2 and 4 players appox. 2 large steps behind their sidelines and 2 large steps behind the attack line. Next, place your 6 player 4 large steps behind the attack line in the center of the court. The players in 5 and 1 are then positioned inside the end line appoximately their height. (so a ball over their head is probably out :) To find a starting position for them off the sideline, just have them split the opening between the players in 2,6 and 5. Make sense? If not, email me and I'll send you a diagram that I use in my player's playbook.

Having established a base receive position, don't hesitate to adjust it based on the receiving abilities of your players. Also, you will want to clearly define the areas of coverage responsibility for each area. I recommend that you tape it out on the court intill it is really clear to everyone.

Keep in mind that the "W" gets everyone potentially involved but also can allow a not-so-good receiver to be targeted. As you players get better at passing serve, you may want to reduce the number of receivers to let your best passers pass more, and/or to "hide" a player or to reduce confusion.

Hope this helps some.

john

Ron,

One other thought about the "W". You may sometimes find that an opponent is always serving deep center or down one or the lines, and it may put a lot of strain on the two deep receivers. If so, you can pull your 6 player back, and pull two of your front row players in to appox. split the gaps between the three players behind them. You can either pull your setter to the net, or, depending on passing ability, pull one of the other front row players up to take her out of the passing.

Just a thought.

john