Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jettrink

Dealing With A Difficult Coaching Situation

My son is 8 years old, playing his 3rd year of little league, his first year of kid's pitching. in any event, he is 1 of 4 kids on the team who gets the game, was ranked very high in the season before they drafted the kids and really loves playing.

We are having serious problems with the head coach, or manager as he likes to be called. He just doesn't get it, and things blew up this weekend between himself and the assitant coach "who does get it"

The head coach never shows for practice, never instructs the kids, leaves everything to the assistant coach who is very good. Except, during the games, the HD makes the line up, decides who sits...

He plays the kids who can't even catch at the major positions, infield, 1st, 2nd. ss, etc. these kids can't even catch let alone make the plays that are necessary. Meanwhile, my son was out in left center, for the 2nd game in a row, the assistant coaches son was catching, it was ridiculous.

i said something to him and he went off telling me that each kid gets a chance, and although i do not disagree, shouldn't the kids who actually show for practice and want to learn and get better get the positions where some skills is necessary?

My wife complained to the head of the league who said he has only received 2 complaints in the past which i find hard to believe. I spoke with other coaches who just rolled there eyes at the mention of his name. he plays the games as if they are practices and had 1 child in tears on Saturday. The kid was pitching and doing a good job, throwing mostly strikes, but the opposition was getting the bat on the ball. the problem was again the kids playing 1st & 3rd etc., can't make the plays and the boy was just crushed. they finally took him out, put my son in and expected him to stop the bleeding with bases loaded. problem again is my son was ready to pitch an hour before the game started as we were at the park early. to expect an 8 year old to walk into a situation like that and just close them down is ridiculous.

our next game is Wednesday, and i am not sure how to deal. The assistnat who is now a friend has quit and wants nothing more to do with it. he will be there, as his son is on the team, but will not participate. it was decided between himself and the HD. i am not sure if i can hold my tongue at this point as i feel as well as others that the HD's jealousy is shining through. His own son is just horrible and not interested in the least. He hasn't gotten a hit all year, can't catch, can barely throw. It sems evident that the HD is taking out his frustrations on the children who excel and are good players.

What to do?

Sounds like you're in a tough situation. My youngest son is also 8 years old and is very skillful and talented in baseball. I am assuming your season is almost coming to an end so maybe you should just make the best of a unpleasant situation and hope things get better next season. Maybe you can volunteer to coach to help make a difference next season. I believe at this age fun and giving chances are part of the learning process, but teaching them baseball fundementals and raising the bar for their skills is essential and my responsilibility as a coach. I want them to be the best they can be at this age and have fun getting there and beyond. I mostly do not put low skilled players at key positions because it puts pressure on them they are not yet ready to take on. And at first base they can get hurt if they cannot catch so I agree with what you say. How do the other parents on your team feel?

Coach 5150

The other parents feel the same, but of course many would rather gripe in privacy than try and make a difference. A few had him last year and were upset about getting him again. One of the mothers told me her son, who is one of the good ones on the team actually cried when he found out he had him again as a coach.

the season is almost up, and i am praying that the assistant coach is able to field a team next year.

i told most of the other parents who all agree the assistant coach is great that we should make a serious push for him that he gets his own team next year.

i wish i could coach, but the games are generally during the week as well as practices, and i just couldn't make it. i work in New York City, and we live in the suburbs and i wouldn't be able to give the kids the time they need. i spend as much time as possible with my son after hours and on the weekend and have been able to fix some of his pitching flaws. i have found that many kids spend to much time thinking on the mound and worrying about their windup . when my son just throws as if we were having a catch, he gets impressive velocity and has the control he sometimes lacks during the game.

Hey, is this coach the president of the League?

If not, then put him out of the league for his style of serving the children in a volunteer capacity is very dangerous.

Because the children are just (8) eight years old, they generally don't have a voice, so you as the sane adult must protect "CHILDREN" from monsters like this.

Good Luck