Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jettrink

Buying Used Mitts

I am looking for places other than Ebay that anyone can recommend to purchase used mitts. My son is 8 years old and using a size 11 right hand and could use a 12 and i want to get him a mitt already worked in with a good pocket. Any recommendation is helpful.

You don't want your son using a glove that is too big for his hand. Typically as adults we tend to think that the bigger the pocket of the glove the better it will be to catch with. This is true in a way. Major league outfielders tend to wear a 12" glove while the Short Stops use 10" to 11" gloves. You need to think in the realm of "Can my son close the glove using his own hand. Buying a glove that has formed to someone else's catching style is really not that good of an idea. What if the person didn't have a clue on how to break in a glove? For an 8 year old boy 11" is too big! Good Luck

My son did something unusual to break in his new (and very expensive!) glove. He soaked it in water and then microwaved it for 2 minutes on high. Took it out,oiled it, put a ball in the pocket and let it dry in the shade(NO SUN!) for about 10 days. It is the best feeling glove I have ever seen! It's like an extension of his hand! I almost killed him when he told me what he was going to do, but he researched it on the net and promised to re-buy the glove with his savings if it didn't work. He was 12 at the time and this glove was bought for All Stars. He's 13 now and has used it through Pony league and now again in the All Stars. It has really held up well!

Stick with no bigger than an 11 glove. My son is almost 6 feet tall and has large hands. His glove is an 11 B)