Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Charlie

All Star Team

I am coaching the Pony Allstar Team this year and am looking for some advice on running the team. The players have already been selected and am mostly looking for advice on dealing with parents on playing time and position as I know that it will be an issue. I plan on having a parent meeting before the first game and would love to have some feedback on anything that should be covered.

Thanks!

Well, one thing I hope you will not do is or set your starting lineup for the entire all star season without the willingness to adjust as your players perform. On my son's team this year the manager announced to the team the six players who would NOT be subbed for any games. I completely disagree with this decision because I always tell my players that every spot is open for change and if a sub player out plays a started their status will be changed. And I do this to keep every player on their toes and for the most part the starters keep their jobs. On my son's team there are 2 to 3 players who are currently batting 1-8, 0-10. and 1-10. Two subs are 2-4 and one is 1-5. Two of the three starters have made two errors each, but their attitude is "we are still starters" and that attitutde bothers me.

So be fair and start the kids who work the hardest and who are playing the best....

i totally agree with what Coach 5150 had to say. My son is on the 8 year old All Star Team he is a starter. He works hard during practice, before and after and really cares. WE explained to him before the season that this is a big committment and taken seriously, and he has stepped up. Unlike alot of the other players, although i place more of the blame on the parents. We had a game this past 4th of July weekend and parties all weekend. We explained to my son and his brother and sister that we would be leaving a party on Saturday night by 8pm as my son had a game Sunday morning at 9am. He was fine with that and played well.

My wife said other parents who we saw at the same party mentioned they stayed til late in to evening before leaving and it was evident in their son's play. I don't find that fair to my son or the other boys who are very serious about the game and about the team and winning. My son is a "Baller" That is what the coaches call him as he is very agressive and takes it to heart. Alot of the others aren't and i see them bringing my boy down a bit. They are happy just to play and don't understand why they lose a game because they aren;t working as hard and caring as much.

Sorry, of the subject. Anyway, i agree that those who work the hardest deserve to play which is to the benefit of the team!