Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CoachGT

Shoulder Pads, Need Help!

Hello Coaches,

I coach a 9-10 year old football team in Louisiana. This is my first year coaching. I have been doing research football equipment and need some information on shoulder pads. Is there any difference in either brand of pads (Schutt, Rawlings, Wilson, Riddel, Nokona etc..). Who makes the best? What exactly should I be looking for? Thanks in advance

CoachGT,

I wish I had answer for you but I don't really delve too deeply in equipment selection; our league GM handles that. I do know that we have schutt helmets. I'm not really positive on the rest. From a coach's point of view, my major focus for equipment is that it fits the player correctly and that is in correct working order. One story I am aware of is that I was talking with one father who bought his son a special helmet to play his last year of youth ball. At the end of the season, he had it refurbed and re-painted to fit the HS colors. However, the HS coach would not allow him to wear it despite the fact that it was an excellent helmet. The reason was that the HS insurance would not cover any equipment not issued by the HS. That is an interesting point; I doubt your insurance company cares as long is it one of the major brands but it might be worth a quick phone call to see if the insurance company has any equipment on their do list and if they have anything on their don't list. I really doubt they do but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Coach Steve

Coach GT,

I am the Equipment Coordinator for our youth league ( www.clintonfootball.org ) I recently purchased 135 pairs of shoulder pads from All sports america in Pennsylvania. I tried several different brands ( Shutt , Rawlings , Bike,etc. ) before

i decided to go with " All sports brand " I actually went as far as trying all four pair on several different kids and all of them prefered the " All-sports"brand over the others.

not to metion they are roughly $5.00 less a pair. a few advantages to this pad is 1) they have removable, washable pads, and 2 the clip inserts are lined with metal rather than plastic. check them out online or call craig Dean at 1-800-597-6017 ext 105.

All Sports America, sells a quality product for less! We buy alot of thier equipment, shipps fast, and no problems. As far as shoulder pads, we just purchased 45 shoulder pads from All Sports!