Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GregL711

Offensive System Suggestion

Coaches:

Im looking for a suggestion on what type of offensive system should be used for a team that has.

A) A very weak offensive line, cannot sustain blocks very long, lineman are slow and lumbering.

B) Smart QB

C) Pretty decent running backs

Thank You

Greg

Coach, Look up the Double Wing Offense

www.doublewingonline.com.

This is a great offense for kids that don't have exceptional size and strength. We're in our 2nd year running it and like it for it's deception - something kids like too. Jag (Jack Gregory) has some real good Severe Angle Blocking techniques that go into detail as to the physics behind it and the play calling is simpler than some other playbooks I've seen. We're about to implement some of it beginning with films tonight. We ran into a team that runs it very well. Our filmer had a hard time telling who had the ball, and so did our kids.

Still learning,

Patscoach

Coach,

A) is the real problem.

It really doesn't matter what system you run if you don't have a line you don't have an offense.

My suggestion - whatever you decide to lay your hat on coach the Oline and coach it well. A good oline will when you games with a poor backfield but a poor line will kill you no matter how good your backs are.

You can go to www.gregorydoublewing.com and get a lot info on the offense I run. I run the Double WIng but my system the Triple B is double wing concepts used in more conventional format.

Either way I woud suggest one of two things:

1) SAB blocking

2) Double Teaming (Gap - On - Down) GOD

Either scheme will make smaller, weaker linemen appear bigger.

Jack

Single wing or Double wing.

This year I was not blessed with any stud linemen.

I became aquainted with Jack Gregory through this site but I had a poor opinion of the double wing because the local highscool made a feeble attempt to run it a few years back and I bad mouthed it big time.

I never did visit Jack's website because I did'nt think it had anything to offer me. I finally broke down one day this summer and checked it out plus checked out some of the links from his site and found there are so many top notch youth coaches out there that are more than willing to help a guy out and believe in their systems.

Jack has a DW playbook right on his sight for free, I studied it and made my mind up that I was going to run DW this fall mainly due to the lack of athletic linemen this year. I learned a lot and did some adjustments that seem to work for me and the type of players I had this year.

We are 5-1-1 so far as a first year double wing team our tie and loss are from another double wing team in our leauge. and our loss was in overtime.

check it out

www.gregorydoublewing.com

Jack also has a new system he calls the Bull, Bear, and Bison. or Triple B

I think he has a BBB play book for first time youth coaches.

Well, Jack beat me to it, anyway, I agree with Jack no matter what system you run the O-line is number one.

One feeling I get sometimes is some people seem to want to kram their system down your throat and their system is the best, all others are a joke and will fail.

It does come down to coaching in the end, no system is the magic pill. you need to take a good look at your players, try to put them in a position that will make your team successful. You have to believe in what you are doing or your kids will see right through you.

good luck.

Thanks Coaches for taking the time to answer my post.

I will definately study everything you have suggested.

I coach in a 10-12 year old league that has a weight limit on ball carriers, and although my lineman arent elibible to carry the ball they are halfway decent kids.

It seems no matter what drill I do, be it firing out of a stance, blocking sustainment; I just cant get this kids to get beyond just pushing the kid once and then standing around and watching the play.

Thank you again.

Coach,

That is a habit you are going to have to break in order to be successful.

The big thing is any drill you do make sure you are on them about doing it do the whistle.

There are several drills I use to teach intensity but the big thing is to always be on their butt about finishing off plays, drills, and anything else they do on the field.

Jack

GregL

Here are a few little tricks. We have great o- lines and our kids are no different than yours.

Since each play takes about 6 seconds from snap to whistle run all drills out for 5 seconds. If they let up before the 5-second mark they run.

Once they get sick of running and start executing for 5 seconds make it a competition between them and crown a king at the end of each drill or at the end of each practice. At the end of the week the king is game captain. Be sure to include drills that promote down field blocking. Typically kids will watch their teammate get crushed because they just missed a block. Get it into their heads that if they do miss a block do not chase that man backwards….there is always another victim for him to block downfield.

Our kids run for punishment purposes carrying Godzilla....a 10# tube that is covered with helmet stickers.

Also give the entire o-line a special name within the team and then call them by that name as a group. It can be a spin-off from your whole team name or something unique that they vote on. They have to be treated as a special group since everyone dreams of being a running back and not a guard. They never carry equipment that is the backfields job. Running backs are required to thank each linemen at every score during the games. Everyone gets praise and we promote team unity but it is well known within the team that playing on the line is a privilege not a sentence. We pound that into their heads every day and they get it, which makes them work that much harder.

Once they get it we create a special play whereas each one of them goes out for a pass and believe me we call them during the games. The reality is running backs are a dime a dozen….linemen are gold.

As far as systems Coach Gregory's DW gets high marks. Well planned with great customer support.

Coach Mike

Mike, those are some awesome ideas for getting the most out of the O line!!

I've been stressing to the team all year how important the O line is to our success. We'll be putting those into use today in hopes to get to the next level.

Thanks, Jim

Thanks again guys for all the tips and ideas you guys share. The SAB blocking is working well after just one night of teaching it.

We used it in a scrimmage with good success. We got a 40 yard TD off of a QB sweep. :)