Y-coach.com - Forum
JWA

Unique Trick Plays

Does anyone have any good trick plays that will work for the 5th and 6th grade level?

We have a few, just looking for more to add in.

Also, teams are "supposed" to run a 4-4 defense. I don't know what they call what they are running sometimes. HAHA

How can we counteract teams that are saying they run a 4-4 but stack 3 linebackers on one side to blitz?

Thanks in advance.

JWA,

We use the Wedge. We stack all of the linemen overlapping each other shoulder over shoulder to create a flying (RumblingBumbling) Vee that has the QB tucked in thwe middle. It's good for 3-10 or more yds each time. This weekend we had the linebackers trying to leap over the top. Our linemen just carried them downfield. When they tried to submarine us we trampled them. Kinda tenderizes the middle!! A team that overstacks the outside is vulnerable to this.

The other thing you can do is call a sweep to either side and call "Even or Odd" as an audible. Ours to the right is even and left is odd. The QB looks it over and yells the side he wants to go to. Have faith, they can do it!

I don't know that 'trick' plays are needed but a little misdirection is always helpful. The big thing that I read though is that he is putting 3 backers to one side. I run a 4-4. I can move my linebackers where ever I want and it is still a 4-4. But, moving his LB's over to one side is creating a very large seam somewhere. The question is where. Lets look at the 44 really quick:

-------------------S

---------B-----W---M------$

CB--------E---N----T----E----CB

X-----------T-G-C-G-T-Y

------------------1-------Z

The text picture is a basic 44 with the interior backers stacked behind the down linemen and the OLB's out a little wide. I don't know what offense you are running so I drew up one with a single Y, an X, and a Wingback and an I formation in the backfield. It doesn't really matter though for the purposes here. With the 4-4, there are few variations he can do to the above picture. One is, he can put his Bandit backer and his $ backer stacked behind the Ends. This means the Ends likely have outside contain. He can also move his Ends into the C gap and move his OLB's out and up a bit. If he does this, the outside backers have contain. Any one of htose will be his base defense. Now, the 44 is nice because it puts 8 men in the box - enough to cover every gap. Now, what you are telling me is he is stacking one side - let's assume the TE side - it probably looks something like:

-------------------S

---------B---------W--M-$

CB--------E---N----T---E-----------------CB

X-----------T-G-C-G-T-Y

------------------1--------------------------Z

Note, I moved the End on the stacked side back to head up over Y. Also note that I moved Z out to take the CB out of the play. Now, if DT hits OG and E hits Y, that leaves the ROT uncovered. He can send two backers and leave one behind to overload the ROT. While this should put an LB in the backfield, it opens some very bad gaps in the defense depending on who he sends. If $ stays home for outside contain (most likely) and W&M come - a dive into the 3 hole (between LOG and LOT by my numbering system; yours may vary) should be wide open for 3 or 4 yards. His backside is also a bit weak so "off tackle" to the 5 hole with a lead blocker should work well. If 3 picks up Bandit backer and X makes his block on the db, your 2 is all alone with their S - a good matchup.

But, that is all basic stuff and you could run some basic audibles as already said. Now, if you want to mess with his back side, put X in motion and have him crackback on the DE or go for Bandit. Another play is to put Z in motion and have him lead the other two plays I mentioned (dive and power off tackle) or just give him the ball and let him do a quick dive.

If your QB and TE are able to toss and catch - have the TE slip behind the blitz and let FB block the first man through. (remember Z is split way out to draw the CB out). 2 can go into a little swing route to the stacked side. Your QB takes a quick look - if $ fails to cover Y, a pop pass out or in are going to be wide open. If $ takes Y, then there Mike has to respect the swing pass by the RB but he is in on the blitz!!! In otherwords, you created a bad bind for his $am backer - he either has to take coverage on Y or on your TB. Do this on a one step or three step drop - long enough for QB to make the read on $ but not enough for $ and Mike to figure out what is going on. One more thing on this play - if you do a 3 step drop - fake the FB dive well to draw the blitzing LB to the FB - makes an easier block for FB. The key to understanding this overshifted 44 and your passing game is to understand his coverage. MOST LIKELY, the OLB has to cover the TE or the RB. It is possible his S will come up to take one - If it is the TE, you are in great shape! If he does that, the power play off tackle to the weakside where the OLB is taken out by the FB and the S is now out of position because he is biting on the TE threat.

The point here is that you don't need trick plays to beat this overshift as he has overcommitted himself to one side. Some things to note during the game though is does he only run this to the open side of the field or to your TE side? Does he REALLY send 2 backers or is he showing all 3 to confuse your OT and only sending one (thus dropping the other 2)? If you have film of him from other games, then you have time to analyze what he is doing and work up some plays that attack the overshift or put him in a coverage bind at the OLB position. The 44 is a great running defense, it is generally weak agains the pass.

By the way, you can mess with the 44 based on formation and motion without changing your base plays. Try coming out in some trips sets or bunch or motion in and out of these sets. You can still run the same basic run plays. Of course, if you are in a 2 TE set with a wishbone or Double Wing, it makes it harder to exploit the 44's weaker pass coverage.

They outlawed it now in college but you might be able to get away with it in youth football.

The old sleeper play two guys come running into the huddle from the sidelines screeming the names of the guys they replace then three kids run back to the sideline but one kid says on the field next to your side line then throw him a pass on a quick count.

Thanks for the tips guys!

I guess after you laid out the 4-4 like that and went through it all, we pretty much do the things you listed. Our head coach is pretty well versed in running and defending a 4-4. We're by far the best defense in the league.

One question from a first year coach who never played organized football. Why do you have the linebackers named the following?: B---------W--M-$

Thanks for the tips guys!

I guess after you laid out the 4-4 like that and went through it all, we pretty much do the things you listed. Our head coach is pretty well versed in running and defending a 4-4. We're by far the best defense in the league.

One question from a first year coach who never played organized football. Why do you have the linebackers named the following?: B---------W--M-$

B- usually backside, W-weakside, M- Middle, $- strongside

In our 44, we call our Backers by names:

B - Bandit

M - Mike

W - Will

$ - Sam

In a typical 4-3, you have 3 backers which are the Mike LB who is the Middle LB, the Will LB who is the weakside backer, and $ for Sam who is the strong side. The $ is used to designate Sam instead of an S because S is usually used for one of the Safety's.

I have seen lots of names for the fourth LB - Backside, Bandit, Rover (really Rover and Bandit are more often seen for a strong safety in a 4-3 or 3-4 but they have been adapted to the fourth LB in a 4-4; probably because in a 4-3, the SS often plays in the box on running downs). Anyway, we went with Bandit because there is a very easy hand signal for play calls that the defense can easily remember.