Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sunagod

Field Positioning

i just wanted to say first that this is a great way to help coaches and managers, especially new managers such as myself. i ran my first practice the other day and it went perfect, it lasted just a little longer than i wanted it to but i still got everything accomplished, it's hard craming everything in with just an hour and a half practice time. well my question today is is there a formula or a way you go about as far as placing certain players at certain positions in the field. i manage a team of 6-8 year old kids and from what ive learned so far most of them can hit but im not sure how to position them in the field as far as best fielders at what position and so forth, and or any specific infield drills to help improve fielding. any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance

]

Edited by sunagod

Glad to hear things started out so well. I have coached both boys baseball and girls' softball from ages 6-16, but the philosephy is the same at the level you are coaching. Get the easy outs first! Most balls will be fielded by the pitcher, so but your best player at that spot and next best at 1st base for obvious reasons. Then, switch those 2 players so you add depth. Put your next best at SS to cover 2nd base and the left side of the infield and position SS on the front edge of the grass (or as shallow as reasonably possible to shorten the throw to first). Next best player goes to 2nd base, must make the short throw to 1st and know when to cover 2nd. Don't fret over 3rd base unless you have an allstar team because the other positions will deplete your best. Simply put someone there who can catch and defend themselves against a hard hit ball. Position him in to get the ball quicker and simply have him throw straight to the bag even if it takes 2-3-4 bounces. That's all you can expect. All the catcher has to do is make a simple catch from the pitcher because the only time he will be involved in a play is a force at home. Teach the following now and you will be far ahead of the others; covering the bases! Have all bases covered on every play, regardless whether there is anyone on or not. That way they will never forget during a game. Teach 2nd and SS to move in the direction of where the ball is hit. Hit to 3rd, SS backs him up then continues on to cover 3rd, 2nd baseman has 2nd. Hit to SS, 2nd baseman has 2nd (always moving to the direction the ball is hit!) Hit to 1st, 2nd base backs him up then continues on to cover 1st, SS has 2nd, ball hit to 2nd, SS has 2nd (always moving to the direction the ball is hit!). Do this with the fundamentals, catching, throwing, and hitting, and you are ready for the season. Good Luck and keep up the good work! Gary

Coach Gary has tremendously out did himself in explaining the resposibilities of the various positions. I would like to add to that simply in the area of TECHNIQUE & FUNDAMENTALS at the very begining of your practices.

1. Developement excersizes are vital in throwing and catching

2. If you have a staff, let them work on the stronger more skilled players, while you take the weaker ones and develope their weakness. This will also allow you to have depth on your bench. If you don't have a staff, then find the most skillful player who is a leader that you can trust, and have this player role play the position of assistant coach, being careful that they are not dictative to the players while you work the one's that need the most help.

3. At this age, you will have to make it known that the baseball is very sore if you are hit with it, so the importance to retain information of how to stay safe is vital.

Remember Coach, although defenses win championships, unfortunately this is not football, soccer, or basketball. You are coaching youth league baseball and some time and effort will have to be taken into consideration in the developement of your offensive game.

Thank you for being their for the kid's.

Great Job, and Good Luck!