Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dan

5 Yr Old Unhappy

Just need some input on my five year old. He is in his second year of t-ball and is just very unhappy playing. I asked if he wanted to play and he insisted he wanted to. Now when it is time to go to practice he just gives me the hardest time. I think there are two things that he does not like. One is that he is the youngest on his team (mostly six year olds) and just about everybody throws and catches better than he does. Another thing is that the coach makes the boys run when they are not paying attention, talking, horseing around ect. He is a very talkative boy that likes to have fun. I know that he should be paying attention but I think running boys at this age is a little much. I have coached against (both our older boys are 9) his coach for many years and have always liked him. I even asked if he could pick him if he had the chance. I did not know he ran his practices like he does so now I am in a little bit of a bind. Should I say something to him that maybe running the boys is not such a good ides at this age? I was also thinking of maybe letting him take a practice or two off and seeing if he can get refreshed. I just don't want him to dislike the game of baseball before he even gets the chance to enjoy it. I have coached my older son's team since he was six and he never acted like this. I will be letting my older one go and am going to start coaching my younger one after this season. Any suggestions on how to get him through the year wanting to come back next year so I can enjoy coaching him like I did my older one. I am sorry about the long post but I am just looking for answers where ever I can find them. Thanks in advance for any replies.

That is a tough one. You don't want your kid to quit, but you don't want him to dislike the game and never want to play again.

My son went through the same thing last year, in his first year with little league. He played on a team with 6 through 8 year olds on it. There were only two other 6 year olds and the two other 6 year olds were much more focused on baseball than he was.

I though it was a mistake at first as he got into trouble quite a bit and had to run. I knew that he was a little immature compared to the others and that he liked to goof around so I thought it might be a real tough season for him. Initially he started giving me trouble about going to practices. I told him that he wasn't going to get to play in the game if he didn't practice and this kept him going although we came real close a couple of times to giving up and just letting him quit.

In the mean time we kept practicing at home and when we got the chance we went to the cages to hit.

After about two weeks he was like a new kid out there. I am not saying he became the best baseball player ever, but he could hang with the other kids. He started hitting, his fielding and throwing improved and once he realized the other kids weren't going to play around he really started to focus.

I have coached this age group myself and I have to admit that I don't hesitate to run kids who are goofing off and creating a distraction for everyone else. I don't think it's fair to let a couple of kids mess it up for those who are there to learn, but I have also found that a lot of it is not keeping them busy enough. So I also focus on keeping them in small groups where they are always busy.

In summary, it turned out to be a very good experience for us and my son is a better ball player this year because of it. I am not saying that is the right thing for you and your son only giving you my experience.

Good luck,

Doug

Edited by Doug

I don't agree with the running part of it because it will take the fun out of it for the boys, and if they are a decent ball player they may never play again....i coach my son and he's 6 on a 7/8 team (because of b'day) and he's more immature...but he knew in tball that he didn't have to try to be one of the better players and it drove me crazy. Now he's getting discouraged and acting up...I've made him sit the bench once already...and it made him step up a little...it's the age...build him up and give him more confidence. The better he feels about himself the more he's going to try...at least in my son's case..he needs confidence

Edited by mattd

Thanks for the replies. I am just going to try and make sure he has fun this year and I am sure he will come back if I coach him next year.