Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
blownonfuel

Base Foot Placement

Hello to All. I am a first time coach (6-7 yr. olds girls softball) and I purchased lots of videos and books on coaching baseball and softball which have helped me grealty but none of the stuff i purchased mentioned the proper foot placement for the infielders who cover the bases. I want to teach my kids correctly. For example if my second basemen is receiving the throw from the SS should they have their foot on the pitching side of the base or the outfield side,etc.? Is there someone who can help me with this or recommend where to purchase the information on this?

Thanks For You Help.

There are several different ways that a second baseman would receive the ball from the shortstop and each depends on exactly where the ball is caught, what kind of arm the SS and the 2B have, how fast the baserunner is and how fast the batter/runner is. On the other hand, since you're coaching young kids you need to keep it basic. I would suggest that they should be on the corner of the base that is closest to where the ball is coming from. I would also suggest that they try to stretch with their glove foot so that the can stretch as far as possible.

This is fairly simple. At 2nd base, have the second baseman cross the base with his next to last step on the edge of the bag. His last step will be with the glove hand foot pointing directly at the fielder, whether it is the pitcher, SS, 3B. The foot with automatically be in the proper position if it is on the side of the bag and not the top. Cross the bag, next to last step on side of bag, final step directly at fielder. Pretty much the same at 1st base, run to the bag, place your foot on the side, step directly at the fielder with the ball. Do repeated drills of this throwing the ball high, low left, right and develop their range of motion also, focusing on a good base with the foot staying on the bag. Gradually teach the baseman it is ok to move off the bag when the throw is too wide. This takes time as the tendency is to remain on the base.