Y-coach.com - Forum
Clinton_Redskin

Can A Bat Make A Difference (age 7-9 )

Looking for some help on Softball bats. I recently looked online and saw liitle league bats ranging from $29.99 - $299.00. Just curious if anyone has experenced a bat that can truly make a difference in the "pop" at the age level 7-9. Thanks

Looking for some help on Softball bats. I recently looked online and saw liitle league bats ranging from $29.99 - $299.00. Just curious if anyone has experenced a bat that can truly make a difference in the "pop" at the age level 7-9. Thanks

My daughter used her brother's little league bat for her first year until we determined that she was interested enough in continuing to play softball, which she was. We then bought her the lightest and cheapest bat we could find (18 oz/$20.00?) because she did not have the arm strength to get a heavier bat around quick enough and every other girl wanted to use her brand new bat..and thus it got tossed around, stepped on and flung into the back stop many times. A broken and dented $20 bat is easier to absorb than a $300 one! And you make the kids paranoid about their possessions at a much too young age! My way of thinking is to get a cheap bat, don't worry about the "pop" yet. Just being able to hit the ball well, and learning how to "place" it into which area of the field is enough for this year. Bottom line....at 9 and 10 yrs old, it's about learning the game and learning that win or lose, competition is FUN! :)

I will say this. A big barrel can make a difference in the power of the ball coming off the bat. Like anything just buying a big barrel and having your child go out and use it in a game is not going to help. In fact it will probably hurt as they must get used to it. I have seen many a kid start dropping the end of the bat when they first start using a big barrel if they don't have good hitting fundamentals and then don't end up hitting at all.

I guess what I am saying is that if your child has good fundamentals and is committed to playing the game, then it may be worth spending $150.00 to $300.00 on a bat.

IC,

Schann

Proper fundamentals is what makes the difference. I remember when I was younger I asked my dad for a $200 bat and his response was is that I had a $60 swing. So when I worked hard enough to get that $200 swing I can have a $200 bat.

Scott Miller

My daughter used an under $50 K-Mart special for house softball at that age, make sure it is the correct length (I use the sternum to finger tip) keep the weight down if possible. It wasn't until she was playing on a travel team did she get 2 higher-end bats (She is 5ft 6in and strong like bull using a 33in/24ozTPS XL and a 33/21 worth) each is used for different pitchers. I think 2 bats are critical and gives her more flexibility but thats just my opinion. Do not let her use them in batting cages, they get ruined.

Get the cheaper bats to get them into the game and spend the money saved for some batting clinics over the winter.

C