Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
K-3rd Coach

Need Opinions!

I'll start by saying this site could be the most helpful coaching tool out there.

OK, In case you're wondering, K does stand for Kindegarten. It's flag football and I guess the signup turnout wasn't very good and they've decided to put K kids in with 3rd graders. I'm not complaining but was wondering if my phylosophy makes any sense. My son is in Kindegarten and is about average compared to some of the kids his age. I don't want to break a record for the longest post or anything but let me give my take and some experiences with children and athletics. I played in this same league when I was in 3rd grade.( I'm 29 now) Anyway, that was the 1st year of eligability. I played every year and usually with the same group of kids. I was very similar to my child as far as being a late bloomer. I can remember a few kids my age who were LEGENDS of that 3-6 grade division. I had a few on my team. I also had a great father who preached encouragement and never let me lose hope or confidence. I ended up being one of "the studs" of the 7-8 division and went on to have an personally unbelievable high school career. I also noticed as kids got older some studs became average and some average ones became studs. That is a crutial lessoned learned as far as dealing with my son. My wife used to think I was freakin' cause my son wasn't the fastest kid his age or didn't seem to be the best at really anything yet. Sometimes talent seems to have a way of catching up to ya and sometimes it never does at all. Back to me, I'm from a small town and very few if any High School stars play ball in college. I was a stud in very small school oriented conference. I wasn't anything special compared to kids from bigger schools. If you're still reading, you're a trooper and here is my plan for this group and parents.

I'm going start off by getting parents involved on and off the field. We start 11 kids on the field and my roster is 18. I'll need some bodies to use for formations. I also think it gives the father/mother a chance to learn their childs position and maybe even learn how to practice drills at home. It will be clear that I'm in charge and so on. I know it's gonna tough coaching Kindegarteners and 3rd graders in the same manner. I'm planning on seperating linemen and backs/wr's during drills. I think I'll coach speed drills for the backs and stance/technique for the line. Offense one day, defense the next. I think that realistically my child may not be on the field with 3rd graders very much and I'm fine with the fact this will be a learning year. I'm just not sure how the other parents will feel about their little ones. Games are on Sat'days and I would like to play the experienced and capable ones during gamedays and fitting the littles ones in on special teams and blowouts. I would also like to practice the nonstarters and beginners the following Mon. and practice the entire team on Wed.

I'll also make football a fun learning experience and teach these kids the pride that comes with being a football player.

I'll start by saying this site could be the most helpful coaching tool out there.

OK, In case you're wondering, K does stand for Kindegarten. It's flag football and I guess the signup turnout wasn't very good and they've decided to put K kids in with 3rd graders. I'm not complaining but was wondering if my phylosophy makes any sense. My son is in Kindegarten and is about average compared to some of the kids his age. I don't want to break a record for the longest post or anything but let me give my take and some experiences with children and athletics. I played in this same league when I was in 3rd grade.( I'm 29 now) Anyway, that was the 1st year of eligability. I played every year and usually with the same group of kids. I was very similar to my child as far as being a late bloomer. I can remember a few kids my age who were LEGENDS of that 3-6 grade division. I had a few on my team. I also had a great father who preached encouragement and never let me lose hope or confidence. I ended up being one of "the studs" of the 7-8 division and went on to have an personally unbelievable high school career. I also noticed as kids got older some studs became average and some average ones became studs. That is a crutial lessoned learned as far as dealing with my son. My wife used to think I was freakin' cause my son wasn't the fastest kid his age or didn't seem to be the best at really anything yet. Sometimes talent seems to have a way of catching up to ya and sometimes it never does at all. Back to me, I'm from a small town and very few if any High School stars play ball in college. I was a stud in very small school oriented conference. I wasn't anything special compared to kids from bigger schools. If you're still reading, you're a trooper and here is my plan for this group and parents.

I'm going start off by getting parents involved on and off the field. We start 11 kids on the field and my roster is 18. I'll need some bodies to use for formations. I also think it gives the father/mother a chance to learn their childs position and maybe even learn how to practice drills at home. It will be clear that I'm in charge and so on. I know it's gonna tough coaching Kindegarteners and 3rd graders in the same manner. I'm planning on seperating linemen and backs/wr's during drills. I think I'll coach speed drills for the backs and stance/technique for the line. Offense one day, defense the next. I think that realistically my child may not be on the field with 3rd graders very much and I'm fine with the fact this will be a learning year. I'm just not sure how the other parents will feel about their little ones. Games are on Sat'days and I would like to play the experienced and capable ones during gamedays and fitting the littles ones in on special teams and blowouts. I would also like to practice the nonstarters and beginners the following Mon. and practice the entire team on Wed.

I'll also make football a fun learning experience and teach these kids the pride that comes with being a football player.

I am a bit confused. Why would you separate practice at all? You have 1 team. If you are worried the little guys need extra attention recruit an assistant coach who can spend extra time with these guys while you work the offense on plays. With 18 kids on the roster I think each and everyone of them would both practice and play as 1 team. If you start your best 5 kids and play them both ways that leaves 12 other full time players. Even if you started the best 8 that would leave 6 other full time starters and you would then have 4 subs. You may find those K kids wont come back and play for you next year if you don’t practice and play them. Football is not fun when you don’t play. My son skipped flag and was a stud CB and FS at age 5 in a 7-9 league because he was quick and didn’t have to stand still and he had a coach that believed all kids on the roster would play. Had the opposite mentality last year and only 5 out of 30 kids returned.

We have 5 day a week practice here which I think is overkill but I would practice no less than 2-3 times a week as a team. I would start with the fundamentals. I would not expect this age group to understand fundamentals yet even if they played last year. We work fundamentals every practice for at least 20 minutes. As they improve we tweak. Heads up wrap better explode quicker etc.

Just my 2 cents. Best of Luck.

Leslie

I am a bit confused. Why would you separate practice at all? You have 1 team. If you are worried the little guys need extra attention recruit an assistant coach who can spend extra time with these guys while you work the offense on plays. With 18 kids on the roster I think each and everyone of them would both practice and play as 1 team. If you start your best 5 kids and play them both ways that leaves 12 other full time players. Even if you started the best 8 that would leave 6 other full time starters and you would then have 4 subs. You may find those K kids wont come back and play for you next year if you don’t practice and play them. Football is not fun when you don’t play. My son skipped flag and was a stud CB and FS at age 5 in a 7-9 league because he was quick and didn’t have to stand still and he had a coach that believed all kids on the roster would play. Had the opposite mentality last year and only 5 out of 30 kids returned.

We have 5 day a week practice here which I think is overkill but I would practice no less than 2-3 times a week as a team. I would start with the fundamentals. I would not expect this age group to understand fundamentals yet even if they played last year. We work fundamentals every practice for at least 20 minutes. As they improve we tweak. Heads up wrap better explode quicker etc.

Just my 2 cents. Best of Luck.

Leslie

How can you have an organized K-3 grade flag football program.....That's way too young. Too much for them to take in.....

Ed

"I am a bit confused. Why would you separate practice at all? You have 1 team. If you are worried the little guys need extra attention recruit an assistant coach who can spend extra time with these guys while you work the offense on plays. With 18 kids on the roster I think each and everyone of them would both practice and play as 1 team. If you start your best 5 kids and play them both ways that leaves 12 other full time players. Even if you started the best 8 that would leave 6 other full time starters and you would then have 4 subs. You may find those K kids wont come back and play for you next year if you don’t practice and play them. Football is not fun when you don’t play. My son skipped flag and was a stud CB and FS at age 5 in a 7-9 league because he was quick and didn’t have to stand still and he had a coach that believed all kids on the roster would play. Had the opposite mentality last year and only 5 out of 30 kids returned.

We have 5 day a week practice here which I think is overkill but I would practice no less than 2-3 times a week as a team. I would start with the fundamentals. I would not expect this age group to understand fundamentals yet even if they played last year. We work fundamentals every practice for at least 20 minutes. As they improve we tweak. Heads up wrap better explode quicker etc."

In response, I agree with the practicing as a TEAM and letting a few asst. coaches focus on the subs. As far as playing time and any concern with a younger player returning for more seasons, I shouldn't have a problem rotating ANY of them in as a CB or WR. I'm not too concerned about returning players or kids not coming back for future seasons.(not kids on my team anyway) I've coach my sons soccer team since he was 3 and I stress the importance of a childs first season and explain how expectations should be realistic and the focus early on is learning fundamentals. I think encouragement and communication can bring back most children.

My main concern is letting them down by coaching at too slow of a pace or giving them too much too fast. I guess the first year will be a learning experience for me too. What should be a realistic goal, performance wise, for these kids' first game?