Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
HA34

Help With First Time Coaching 3rd And 4th Graders

This is my first time coaching. I have 15 kids on my team(7- 4th, 7- 3rd, & 1- 2nd grade). We will have only 3 practices(in one week) before our first game. Looks like we will have 5-6 large boys(mostly 4th graders). We will probably have two options at QB, one 4th grader with a great arm but slow to average speed and a 3rd grader with an above average arm and good speed. Our backs will be on the small inexperienced side.

I would be greatful for any assistance. What would be the easiest offense to install to fit the circumstances and kids?

Thanks

This is my first time coaching. I have 15 kids on my team(7- 4th, 7- 3rd, & 1- 2nd grade). We will have only 3 practices(in one week) before our first game. Looks like we will have 5-6 large boys(mostly 4th graders). We will probably have two options at QB, one 4th grader with a great arm but slow to average speed and a 3rd grader with an above average arm and good speed. Our backs will be on the small inexperienced side.

I would be greatful for any assistance. What would be the easiest offense to install to fit the circumstances and kids?

Thanks

Well for me speed always wins over size at that level. I would run just a very watered down I-formation with the dives and sweeps and qb bootlegs for the first game since you only have 3 practices and then add on from there.

Thanks

Coach,

You can check out my site; I have a lot of free resources on offense and defense that will help you out.

I would not simply run a I formation..it is not the best youth offense to run unless you have a dominant TB that can get around the edge or you have the ability to get up the middle with a dominant line. Power I or Doube Tight I using either WB or Flanker is a good start but again only if you have dominant type TB.

Otherwise use an offense that uses a lot of misdirection to multiple backs as misdirection is a coaches best friend at that level. Power T, Wishbone, Double Wing, and Single Wing are good starts. Wing-T is another good one. Keep it really simple and focus on about 10 plays with only one or two being pass.

Jack

www.gregorydoublewing.com

I have to disagree with your gregg. i have run the power I for the last 5 years with a record of 45-2 at the youth level. I can get as much misdirection out of a power I that i could with any wing t offense out there. I also do not have the stud tb or the stud offensive line just kids with lots of speed and good mechanics of blocking. And im not trying to sell the poor guy anything either.........

I have to disagree with your gregg. i have run the power I for the last 5 years with a record of 45-2 at the youth level. I can get as much misdirection out of a power I that i could with any wing t offense out there. I also do not have the stud tb or the stud offensive line just kids with lots of speed and good mechanics of blocking. And im not trying to sell the poor guy anything either.........

Coach,

Then be specific. I formation offense comes in a lot of flavors...and you stated " would run just a very watered down I-formation with the dives and sweeps and qb bootlegs for the first game since you only have 3 practices and then add on from there."" With that being said the I formation put like that is the PRO I system that a lot of coaches speak about and not the POWER I. When you give advice be a little more specific because a new coach will not know.

I have found in sixteen years of coaching (high school, semi-pro, and youth ball) that the I formation is not the best youth offense. I have coached all over the country and I every team that as run any variation of the I with any success has always had a top tier TB or a dominant line, or both.... Just my opinion. The easiest offense are ones that allow you to use misdirection in both directions as well as attack with power in both directions. Also formations that spread the running backs out in the backfield and don't condense them in one area. It is a lot easier to key and cross key a condensed backfield as all the backs are right there in your field of vision... Since kids are like kittens they chase the first thing they see which means if you run a single wing, double wing, wishbone, split-t, power-t it takes advantage of the kitten theory...I can't say that the power I does that as effectivily; maybe with the power back side but not in both directions. Against a less trained coaches that would work but against a more knowledgable coach he is going to realize you have one counter/reverse side and one power side and his defense will be geared to stop that...if he is worth is salt.

Jack

Thanks for all your help guys. It is much appreciated. I went with a double wing. The 34 power is our most consistant play, but 38 sweep and a qb bootleg have provided the big plays.

We had 2 practices and a scrimmage before our first game. The boys were not used to getting hit on the first couple of series, but settled down after that. We tied in our first game 12 -12. We won our game last night 8 - 0, even though we played better in the tie. Our QB seemed to forget his left and right which led to the ball hitting the ground. My 3 back has turned out to be one of the top two backs in the league. (A very pleasant surprise)

Thanks for all your help guys. It is much appreciated. I went with a double wing. The 34 power is our most consistant play, but 38 sweep and a qb bootleg have provided the big plays.

We had 2 practices and a scrimmage before our first game. The boys were not used to getting hit on the first couple of series, but settled down after that. We tied in our first game 12 -12. We won our game last night 8 - 0, even though we played better in the tie. Our QB seemed to forget his left and right which led to the ball hitting the ground. My 3 back has turned out to be one of the top two backs in the league. (A very pleasant surprise)

Coach one solution with young kids is use a color for left and right...get a blue and red marker or rubber bands...put a blue one on the left hand and a red one on the right one..(mark or band) and when you call the plays instead of using left or right call it red or blue...if in doubt they simply check the arms.

Jack