Y-coach.com - Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Last week
  2. Earlier
  3. Jshab8

Youth Flag Football

Hi All, I am new to this form, so I apologize if this is a question that has already been discussed. In short, I coach a youth flag football team (ages 9-11 years old) that consists of 9 players in total. We play 5 on 5 games that consist of 40 minutes. Substitutions occur every 5 minutes, in which I am required to clear my entire bench. All players must play a minimum of 20 minutes. That being said, I am struggling to find a solution to a major dilemma that has been our Achilles heel this season. We have 8 solid players with prior football experience and that understand the game, however, we have 1 player that has never played football EVER. Moreover, his parents have forced him to sign up and play, and the kid shows no interest in what is going on in practice/games. As much as I try to pull him aside and explain things 1-1 with him, nothing seems to work. He can't catch, doesn't understand how to play defense, and is timid every time he steps on to the field. Given that I have to sub every 5 minutes, he is a major liability to both our offense/defense and teams are starting to figure out how they can exploit his weakness. I currently have him as a designated rusher on defense, as he cannot grasp the concept of man or zone D, and I am honestly clueless as to where I can put him on the offense since he is essentially a non-factor. Does anyone have any advice or experience working with 1 player who is significantly inferior to the rest of the team, and if so, what are some ideal defensive/offensive sets in which I can limit the liability he creates. Please note I am not putting this kid down and am his biggest proponent, yet nothing is working and we keep loosing to team we should beat as a result. I look forward to hearing your feedback!!!
  4. Hi All, I am new to this form, so I apologize if this is a question that has already been discussed. In short, I coach a youth flag football team (ages 9-11 years old) that consists of 9 players in total. We play 5 on 5 games that consist of 40 minutes. Substitutions occur every 5 minutes, in which I am required to clear my entire bench. All players must play a minimum of 20 minutes. That being said, I am struggling to find a solution to a major dilemma that has been our Achilles heel this season. We have 8 solid players with prior football experience and that understand the game, however, we have 1 player that has never played football EVER. Moreover, his parents have forced him to sign up and play, and the kid shows no interest in what is going on in practice/games. As much as I try to pull him aside and explain things 1-1 with him, nothing seems to work. He can't catch, doesn't understand how to play defense, and is timid every time he steps on to the field. Given that I have to sub every 5 minutes, he is a major liability to both our offense/defense and teams are starting to figure out how they can exploit his weakness. I currently have him as a designated rusher on defense, as he cannot grasp the concept of man or zone D, and I am honestly clueless as to where I can put him on the offense since he is essentially a non-factor. Does anyone have any advice or experience working with 1 player who is significantly inferior to the rest of the team, and if so, what are some ideal defensive/offensive sets in which I can limit the liability he creates. Please note I am not putting this kid down and am his biggest proponent, yet nothing is working and we keep loosing to team we should beat as a result. I look forward to hearing your feedback!!!
  5. ag4apple

Is this thing on?

Yeah, I have learned quite a bit from this forums over the years, but the activity seems to have really died down a lot. I'm not sure why ... did everyone move to some other site?
  6. NJB Maui Upcountry Hoops Summer Basketball Tournament Girls and Boys Bracket June 14-16, 2019 Maui, Hawaii 96768 AGE GROUP: 14U (No High School) ENTRY FEE: $250 OUT OF STATE DEADLINE: February 15th, 2019 AWARD TOURNAMENT: 1st and 2nd Place Trophies 3 POINT CONTEST: 1st and 2nd Place Trophies FORMAT: Double Elimination Bracket 2- 14 Minute Halves Stop Clock RULES: NFHS Rules including NJB Maui modified rules Snack Meals provided for each player after each game CONTACT INFORMATION Steve Dumlao, League Director steved.mauinjb@hotmail.com 2019 njb maui summer Basketball Tournament.pdf
  7. bf79

Is this thing on?

Hey all, I found this forum, but it looks quite dead. Just wondering if anyone is still around.
  8. youthballer

Defending pulling guards 10-11 year olds

I should add they typically line up with two tight ends Full House back field with lots of misdirection in the backfield, counters and traps and leads.
  9. Playing a team this week that has had success most of the season running behind pulling guards. We tell our defensive lineman to follow the pulling guards. It should take them to the ball carrier. But this team is good at making it happen very very quickly. I'm thinking we should have our linebackers react very hard and very fast to the pull and target the back end of the pulling guard and look for the ball carrier right behind him on every time they pull. We run a 4 4 and we also run a 5-3. Wondering if anybody has an opinion on how to best defend against this. Thank you.
  10. Coach Rob

Troublemaker

Ich stimme Hollad zu, ich würde mit seinen Eltern reden. Es hört sich so an, als wollte er nicht dort sein und es ist nicht fair für den Rest des Teams.
  11. Am I late to the party? 🤣 I haven't posted here in quite a while. Even though this was several months back, I'll throw out a few comments. The first one (which applies to all youth sports when a coach is going through something like this) is to find a few key skills and do them really well. For example, become experts at fake handoffs and misdirection. Secondly, I would agree with chiefs67, don't give up. Communicate with the parents and players. Simplify things like chiefs did and be sure to encourage the heck of your players when you see them doing something right and improving. On a personal note to chiefs, you probably did a few of those kids a favor as I'm sure they'll be good and ready next year.
  12. hollad6636

Troublemaker

Coach, How old our your kids? If it is truly that bad then I would have a talk with the parents. A couple of ideas. Keep him busy at all times. Get help from one of your assistants to keep an eye on him and keep him busy with drills.
  13. Coach LE

Troublemaker

Hi Leute, ich bin neu hier und wollte dich um Rat fragen ... Ich bin erst seit kurzem Trainer und habe wenig Erfahrung in diesem Bereich, also mein Problem: In der Mannschaft, ein Junge, der ständig alles in Frage stellt, herumalbert und gegen die 5on5-Flaggenregeln in Trainingsspielen verstößt. Das ist nur ein kleiner Einblick in das, was er tut. Durch sein Verhalten bin ich gezwungen, Strafen in Form von 20 Liegestützen (anfangs 10) zu verteilen, aber das wird der ganzen Mannschaft schaden, da wir eine Mannschaft sind und deshalb alle bestrafen. Also meine Frage: Was zum Teufel kann ich tun? LG Coach LE
  14. John  Barrett

I think someone is cheating

Sorry for the typos. What I meant to say was “their” flags. And I meant to say “proverbs” in the comment about dishonest men think everyone is dishonest.
  15. John  Barrett

I think someone is cheating

First year coach of 5 on 5 flag football team. We just lost to the best team in the league. What was strange was our inability to pull there flags. I thought nothing of it except when their coach accused one of my players of loopoing his flag. It seemed like projection to me. The lovers that a dishonest man thinks everyone is dishonest. How can I tell if the other team has monkeyed with their flags? thanks for any help on this subject
  1. Load more activity