Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vegas Coach

Gameday!

We had our first game this past Saturday and did very well overall as we got the win 31-0. Starting off 1-0, we had 2 INT returns for TDs in the second half which is why the score got to be so much. The kids played very well, however in the beginning of the game it was like we were still asleep. took a little while to get going. We also still lacked a little aggression on defense.

My question for you coaches is what types of things do you do to get the kids "motivated" and pumped on gameday? I read somewhere on this site where one coach would pull out the eye black for the kids right before the game and I did this and it worked great as the kids really enjoyed it and seemed to get a kick out of it, however they came very flat still!!!

Our next game is Saturday.... cant wait, I am always looking for new ways to motivate these little guys!!!

We had our first game this past Saturday and did very well overall as we got the win 31-0. Starting off 1-0, we had 2 INT returns for TDs in the second half which is why the score got to be so much. The kids played very well, however in the beginning of the game it was like we were still asleep. took a little while to get going. We also still lacked a little aggression on defense.

My question for you coaches is what types of things do you do to get the kids "motivated" and pumped on gameday? I read somewhere on this site where one coach would pull out the eye black for the kids right before the game and I did this and it worked great as the kids really enjoyed it and seemed to get a kick out of it, however they came very flat still!!!

Our next game is Saturday.... cant wait, I am always looking for new ways to motivate these little guys!!!

My kids sometimes come out pumped up and sometimes flat. I'd like to think that they are fired up more often than not. One of the things I try to do is become fired up myself. I try to spread that excitement level to the kids. On the way to the game my son and I listen to AC/DC Back in Black, loud. Before the game we run through some basic drills. As the game draws near I'll have my pep talk which is always followed by the eye black. Then I let them get loose a little before the game by doing whatever they want. One more quick pep talk before the first play and plenty of demonstrative enthusiasm from me.

I think with any team you are going to have flatliners and high energy guys. I think the key is to get your high energy guys pumped as it is infectious. Once you get them going, it spreads to the whole team. Maybe even single a few of them out and tell them to get the other guys going.

I've assigned one of my parents to be the "Starbucks runner". She times it so that she arrives back 10 minutes before we start the game with shots of espresso for each kid. Seems to work well.

Ok, maybe no espresso, but i've thought about it. This may sound corny but we get everyone (including parents) in a huge circle, put our hands in the middle and do a team cheer right before the game starts. We get pretty loud and keep it going.

I'm usually pretty pumped for the game...I get the kids going myself.I get them excited.I like to go out there and try to get them pumped up as much as me...We play catch before we warm up then we give them a prep talk and break it down then have one of them say something, then start the game.

Forgive me, as I know you've stated this before, but what age group are you coaching? I ask as this obviously determines the best motivational techniques.

I coached 6-8 year olds last season (8-9 this season). I believe there are two things: pre-game motivation, and in-game motivation. With my own son, we usually begin the morning going through our scripted plays. He is our QB (and has a lot of responsibilities) so it is more of a mental excercise. "What do you do on this play, that play? etc. What happens if your first read is covered? etc." He's usually got it all down, but I think it gives him confidence to give me the right answers, and I can see it motivates him to carry it on to the field.

Pre-game warmups I like to keep the kids very relaxed. It's kind of a "scene" at our games. We play in a mini-stadium with scoreboard, announcer, etc., so it's easy for the kids to get "wide-eyed". If I feel we are prepared (i.e. the kids know their plays), I pretty much let them do whatever they want on the field during the pre-game. Usually they just run around and, well, be boys. I know that is unorthodox, but I think keeping them relaxed with "no fear" seems to work.

In-game is where I really like to motivate them. I think it's important not to just make a big deal out of great plays, but I always make a point to look elsewhere (away from the ball) to see who made a good block, or (on defense) who covered his man well, etc. I believe the key is to keep ALL the players' heads in the game.

Finally, I allow them to motivate each other. Each time we get a flag on defense, I expect ALL the kids to give the player a high-five, pat on the back, whatever. Same thing with offense. Anytime someone does something good, I expect his teammates to swarm him and congratulate him. This is part of the "team-environment" I constantly tout---and frankly feel it's pretty impressive to see that on the football field with kids that age.

I'm certain I don't have to mention this, but the one thing I never do is scold a player---especially on the field in a game. I've seen it many times and frankly I feel it is pathetic. Whether a player is physically beat by his opponent or makes a costly mental mistake, the best thing (in my opinion) is to keep their spirits up and explain the best thing about sports is you have many opportunities to make it up.

Forgive me, as I know you've stated this before, but what age group are you coaching? I ask as this obviously determines the best motivational techniques.

I coach 8-9 year olds........ thanks for the congrats as well, as I said before my team picked off two passes for INTs late in the second half which makes that score look very wide open.

Anyhow, in our league we virtually get no time what so ever for much pregame drills. Our league gets these games going and going fast. They do a little National Anthem by our league tent before each set of games, then after that we might have 5-8 minutes to get ready, then its game time, sometimes we get less too depending if the last game went late. Last week I had the kids run some routes and throw the ball back and forth, then I had to give them a quick "pep talk" then out came the eye black which the kids loved!!! It was game time after that, we had probably 5 minutes to prepare. Thanks for the input guys..... we have a game today at 2:30 PM pst so I am always looking for those ways to keep the energy up and motivation up!

P.S. I think it cant be said enough that the enthusiasm and energy the coaches bring is very positive as well as the parents too!

Well we won our second game on Saturday in a hard fought battle 20-12 to go 2-0. Once again I needed much energy from our kids from the get go as they came out a little flat. It was also 100 degrees here in NV so I am sure that affected everyone!

Well, congrats on your second game as well. ;-) You coach the same age I will be coaching this season (8-9). Do you have many returning players and/or kids who have played flag football before? What sort of offense are you running (passing? running? balanced?).

There is talk our league might go from 8 vs 8 to 7 vs 7. I'm hoping we stay at 8 vs 8. It might sound like a lot of players, but as stated we do get to block, so it's almost like fielding a full squad, yet the linemen get to take hand-offs and catch passes. ;-) Not to mention I will have to create an entirely new playbook if we switch to 7 vs. 7. :-(

Well, congrats on your second game as well. ;-) You coach the same age I will be coaching this season (8-9). Do you have many returning players and/or kids who have played flag football before? What sort of offense are you running (passing? running? balanced?).

There is talk our league might go from 8 vs 8 to 7 vs 7. I'm hoping we stay at 8 vs 8. It might sound like a lot of players, but as stated we do get to block, so it's almost like fielding a full squad, yet the linemen get to take hand-offs and catch passes. ;-) Not to mention I will have to create an entirely new playbook if we switch to 7 vs. 7. :-(

Thanks for the congrats!!! I have 3 returning players on our team which includes my son. I basically have an all new team... I also have 3 kids who have NEVER played football before, ironically 1 of those newbies is one of my best players because of his quickness and the effort he displays every practice and game, while the other two are still lost and confused most of the time. My offense is pretty "vanilla" I suppose..... right now I have a total of about 10 pass plays and about 8 run plays. We are 5 vs 5 league, so I run a Trips formation, Twins and 1 RB Balance formation. Our team emphasis is limiting mistakes like mishandling the ball (fumbles) and throwing INTs. We also spend lots of time preaching defense! I use a lot of drag plays that I picked up from Orange and Coach Rob for passes, while incorporating lots and lots of misdirection. I run it 70% of the time though mostly with end arounds. I'm installing some Shotgun this week as this new team of mine is ready for more to be thrown their way.