Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
beadlecoach

What Is The Best 11 Year Old Tackle Offense

I've been a coach for many years at the high school level, but now coach my son's tackle football team. Last year the boys were small, new to tackle, and we utilized Cisar's single wing. (WE GOT CRUSHED EVERY GAME). My QB was very, very slow, and the offense was so readable, that we only made 4 first downs all year.

I don't want to repeat the year, but I do like the aspects of the single wing. It's easy for the kids, the direct snap was very successful, (I don't like qb behind center), and with some confidence and skill, they could have done better.

I'm looking for maybe something similar. I've looked into the wing t and like it's misdirection, but don't like QB under center.

I personally think the double wing is too complicated for this group.

I'm half inclined to just go I formation, but I keep reading horror stories about how easy the defense can crush this.

IN CLOSING. what do you all recommend, why, and possible sites to get more information.

As a high school coach I ran I formation, with much success...but again...these are untalented 11 year olds.

We run double wing with 3rd graders. we use the TKO (track and kick out) scheme. I really like it because its really easy for the line - like zone blocking they just need to take the correct first step and head in the right direction, blocking whoever gets in front of them. the angles that the line takes also means that they will have an advantage blocking better athletes. the kick out blocks can be used to take out that stud defensive end that usually eats offenses alive.

If you get your powers and counters and the wedge clicking in a game, it really seems to set up the sweep because the defense will stack the box more and more.

I've been a coach for many years at the high school level, but now coach my son's tackle football team. Last year the boys were small, new to tackle, and we utilized Cisar's single wing. (WE GOT CRUSHED EVERY GAME). My QB was very, very slow, and the offense was so readable, that we only made 4 first downs all year.

I don't want to repeat the year, but I do like the aspects of the single wing. It's easy for the kids, the direct snap was very successful, (I don't like qb behind center), and with some confidence and skill, they could have done better.

I'm looking for maybe something similar. I've looked into the wing t and like it's misdirection, but don't like QB under center.

I'm half inclined to just go I formation, but I keep reading horror stories about how easy the defense can crush this.

IN CLOSING. what do you all recommend, why, and possible sites to get more information.

As a high school coach I ran I formation, with much success...but again...these are untalented 11 year olds.

You've ruled out just about every youth offense out there. I'm not sure if you think there is some "magic bullet" offense out there for youth, but there isn't. There are some pretty good ones out there though. Dave Cisar's single wing is specifically geared towards the youth level. I've seen teams as young as mighty mite (7-9 y/o) run this successfully. Jack Gregory (google his name) has a youth version of the Double Wing that teams are having a lot of success with. Also, Dum Coach has a youth football forum that includes a youth version of the wing t, as well as the single wing. Ted Seay also has a very good version of the wing t available on the internet as well.

Not sure why you don't want to go under center, as there are many teams who do this successfully. It seems like you might be having O line issues. A basic gap scheme with consistent blocking rules should help, no matter what scheme you decide to run.

The bottom line is, no matter what offense you run, success is going to be based on how well your team can execute. Execution is based on how well they understand their job on each and every play. Make sure they understand their job and rep, rep, rep until the cows come home. In addition, the fewer the number of plays the better; I would recommend power/iso, counter off power action, wedge (or dive if you prefer BOB blocking), sweep, and a couple of PA passes (off power and maybe counter actions). If you flip flop your oline, then you only have half the teaching.

Good luck with your search.

I was a 1st yr. head coach and had a team with 13 1st yr players. I went with Coach Elrod Hybrid Wing T and they had a ball. I lead our league in yards rushing/passing.We ran the jet sweep series because it was an easy install, only two people have to be grat blockers, and the comps. plays were great. I also brought Coach Olsen's youth shotgun jet sweep series as well. We ran out of pistol the whole season and again the kids loved every minute of it.

Go to www.jetsweep.com and you can see clips and ask Coach Elrod about his system. I also have had Coach Elrod on my show as well as other hybrid wing t coaches so you can get a better feel of the system.

I've been coaching youth football for a while now, the best advice I can give is to build around what you have. Every year we get a new batch of players and skill sets. I have played against a triple option, wing T, double Wing, Veer, and so on. The ones that have failed have failed because they forced an offensive plan that didn't match what they had. They worried too much about running what the high school ran vs just developing good football players. We run a little of everything, we find what they can do and run with it. We are very successful because we keep it simple and find their strengths and build on them. We run an option, a little bit of the spread (for the high school) and run I, offset I, split backs, and single back sets. We run a wishbone set out of a motion with offset I and run most of options out of that package. We throw the ball in all of our sets as well. We plan according to what the players can do, we throw out what we can't and dont waste time forcing them to run what they can't understand. We build on what they do and move on from that.

The wing t offense is a great youth football offense. I been using the wing t for the past couple seasons, it has been great. I use wing t jet motion series. Jet sweep has really worked out well the past couple seasons. Once the defense starts to over play the Jet sweep, it opens them up for other plays out of the jet series. Running it out of shotgun is also effective. It makes the defense have to defend the quarterback as well. Shotgun wing t jet series can really be lights out. Any kind of motion in youth football works well, both with deception and getting outside. Jet/Rocket/fly motion is were its at.

The double wing offense is an explosive offense as well. The double wing really in my mind smash mouth football. It also offers great deception, which is key in youth football. The double is easy to install, the players will have fun running it. I have have ran both the wing t and double wing on all age levels of youth football. I feel the biggest mistake is coaches having too many plays- multiple plays out of 5 different formations. You need to make a series of 5 to 6 plays that work all off eachother. But anway the wing t and double wing offense are very youth football friendly offenses.

Wing T!!

Double Wing!!