Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tazman

I9 Championship- 12 Y.o.

Hello all, love the forum and have been checking it out for about 2 years or so now. Just wanted some ideas on how others would attack this type of defense. The team we are playing seems to play a 2-2-1 zone defense. Their best and fastest kid is the deep safety. I plan on using lots of trips and twins to either side and trying to overload the safety by running multiple kids deep and on crossing patterns. I am initially going to run possibly a drag route or having my center run to the spot where someone is suppose to rush from ( 7 yds deep) to get a good feel for what they are actually doing on defense. Any other ideas??

I'm betting the safety knows he's responsible for the hole left by the rusher. Sending a receiver deep towards the safety and another one where the rusher came from would probably work. I'd have your QB give some hard looks towards the safety and throw to the opposite side a few times.

I would send a receiver consistently towards the safety; you'll have to overthrow a few on purpose to keep him honest. Then take it to the other side and crunch out the yards with short runs or passes. Having a RB doing a wheel route out of the backfield opposite of the safety side. QB will have to sell it by looking at his receiver running the route towards the safety. If you can grind out 5-7 yards underneath safety, you might suck him in and be able to hit someone long. Worst case is you're not throwing intercepts and marching down the field. If your QB can work in some pump and go's after crunching out the yards, you should be able to connect on some longer passes.

I'm guessing the middle would be open quite a bit if they send a rusher, so I'd have one WR way left and one way right running fly routes, then bring someone across the middle. Watch how they react to your plays and keeping 'em guessing.

Well, we won 25-20. Started out with the trips formation and I think it kind of threw them off guard at first. Took them a few plays to adjust but by that time we had already scored. And then when we came out in twins next time, we ran some crossing patterns with some success. Then I lined up 2 receivers to the right and 1 wide to the left. I had both the right receivers head for the safety and then at the same time 1 did a in post and the other a out post and the guy on the out was WIDE open and easily scored. We were up 19-0 at half and I think the guys got a little over confident and let their guards down cause in the 2nd half they came roaring back. Luckily we got them again with a double pass, passed it to my guy who had been buring them all day with his speed and they got suckered in thinking he was going to run and he then passed it downfield easily for a score. We then just played prevent def and took it home.

Got a new challenge now. I am now going to try a 7 on 7 league my sons tackle football program has started with 12-13 yo. Think I might start a new thread to see what kind of feedback on this one.