Y-coach.com - Forum
A Name Already In Use

Need Long Pass Coverage Drill

I am currently coaching a 8-10 year old division, 5 on 5 game with five second wait before defense blitz, QB can run after the 5 seconds, Velcro single flag pull player is down division here.

Numerous teams have excellent QB's that can throw accurate long distances. I am experimenting with 2-3, 1-1-3 and 1-3-1 defenses.

Our biggest weakness is even after multiple games, scrimmages and practices my players are STILL letting people go behind them. This seems to especially happen when the receivers run between zones and my defenders are not picking up the new opponent in their zone.

Can anyone suggest a drill that has worked for them where we can fix this?

Not sure on a drill for this, but one thing I do for my defense is while running a scrimmage in practice I tell them I will blow a whistle and everyone stops where they are during the play. This really helps the defense, and coaches, see where the breakdowns are and talk over the issues. I do this every practice and it helps the team on both sides as they can see, not just be told, when routes are not run correct, or defenders get out of position.

Good luck

• Like 1

I had the same problem and started using a one-on-one fly drill. Have your WR run a fly, get your DEF to backpeddle until the WR is close (but before they are to you) then turn and run with the WR. I also teach getting a hand on the WR (minor contact not called in our league) so that you know where they are and can turn your head to the QB. As far as picking up from one zone area to the next, constantly preaching communication on DEF... use of short words like "Steve Help" or "Bill coming Right" really help. The other thing we do is have pre-set zone converages-releases. This eliminates the kids from having to think to much and lets them play more. For example we run a 3-1-1, our RLB is one of our faster players, so that player always has a deep coverage while the safety stays to the middle/left side. The MLB then covers Middle/Right.... switching the 3-1-1 to a 2-1-2. This has worked well and the kids are never confused as to who was supposed to go deep and who wasn't. Hope that helps!

• Like 1