Y-coach.com - Forum
Platoon

My Favorite 5 On 5 Play...

I want to give you some background first on how I call plays and design them...

I dont see anyone else here that does it this way, so I am curious about your opinions as well.

I give every spot a number between 1 and 5, no colors or designation like rb, wr...etc...

so if I call play 545....the kids immediately know that 5 (always the QB) gets it, and gives it to 4, who in return gives it back to 5...545....

I make every play formation in numerical order, starting from left to right...so

1 is the wr on left, 2 is the slot, 3 is usually always my center, 4 is the rb or right wr, and 5 is QB. I try to make all my plays from 2 to 3 formations so the defense cannot see the difference between them.

When practicing I geive every player a number 1-5 again, then we call plays, run them, then I say rotate...every player moves up one number and we start to call plays again, and we do this for 45 minutes every practice...

so if you are 1, you then become 2 and so forth, 5 rotates back down to 1....

So in the games, I only have to do one thing in the huddle, I call the play....the boys know exactly where to go and what the play is!! I havent seen anything even close to this in our league for 2 seasons.

I can call almost 3 plays to everyone elses 1 play....

Here is my favorite play....

I will add more soon...

545.pdf

• Like 1

I also use a numeric play calling system; I have found it to be most practical since I’m not allowed on the field and only 20 sec to start the play. The advantage I see on this system is that even though the player doesn’t know the play by memory he can execute properly, I´ll explain why.

The first number calls the formation,

1 – spread singleback

2 – singleback & LR wide RR tight,

3 – Singleback & LR tight RR wide

4 – Singleback twins right

5 – Singleback twins left

6,7,8,9 – For two back set formations & shotgun formations

0 – spread singleback (backup offense)

Second number calls who receive the ball.

1 - Qb

2 – RB

3 – RR

4 – LR

5 - Center

Third number calls the running lane or gap:

2-Centers right side

3-Centers Left side

4-Right mid field (off tackle right)

5-Left mid field (off tackle left)

6-Rigth outside field

7-Left outside field

As you can see on formation even numbering calls a formation change on the right side and odd to the left, this also applies to the gap, even to the right odd to the left.

I use after the numbering scheme key word to tell the offense the type of execution.

Direct – Fast no faking hand off.

Fake – run fakes first, player who receives ball delays to let fake execution. (Usually qb starts in counter handoff fake)

Delay – pass fake then hand offs.

Counter – all players develop play to play calling side & intended player shift direction.

Pass – fakes run then passes.

Even if the players don’t know their exact assignment they know they have to clear lanes so they usually execute away from where the play develops.

For instance: 124 direct, play goes to gap 4 with the HB, then Rw can execute a Fly or to the flat but never towards center field, center must go to the odd numbering side on a salnt, square or drag and LW stays on that side on a hook or fly. Same play on tight right formation, 224 fake - fakes end around to thigh receiver and hand off to RB, center and Lr execute same option as before.

i will be coaching 5-6 year olds. in 5v5

and I am allowed on the field

my plan is to assign each a color (including a wristband)

i will show them the play in the huddle

we'll install about 5 plays, but each will have options on who gets the ball. depending on who we call in the huddle.

I'll have the plays marks so that I can call a number, letter or number to determine who gets the ball, so the defense is not tipped off.

I like it, this will be my first time coaching FLAG. I've done so before but with older kids. Nice job.

I actually love it! I have been looking for an easy way to call plays and call them fast. This is my 1st year as Head Coach. We play in Lake Travis, TX. The HS team won 5 straight State Championships before they were moved up to Class 5A 2 years ago and has made it deep into the play-off the last two years. It was the only school in history of Texas HS Football to do so...as you can imagine the Football Culture here is intense and very competitive. My team is an 7-8 year old team, 5v5 with modified i9 rules. There is immediate rushing and the QB can run. I think the key to the game is quick developing play that keep the defense on center.

Any other plays you have would be helpful!

I actually love it! I have been looking for an easy way to call plays and call them fast. This is my 1st year as Head Coach. We play in Lake Travis, TX. The HS team won 5 straight State Championships before they were moved up to Class 5A 2 years ago and has made it deep into the play-off the last two years. It was the only school in history of Texas HS Football to do so...as you can imagine the Football Culture here is intense and very competitive. My team is an 7-8 year old team, 5v5 with modified i9 rules. There is immediate rushing and the QB can run. I think the key to the game is quick developing play that keep the defense on center.

Any other plays you have would be helpful!

I've coached both of my sons' 5on5 flag teams in the Austin area since 2008 (my oldest is now 11). If you are truly seeking a competitive environment for your boys, find the nearest NFL Flag league and enroll your team in their inter-league "elite" division. It's basically where all the best flag teams from Austin, Cedar Park, Round Rock, Lake Travis, and Hyde Park enroll and play each other.

We've also started enrolling our same kids in the 7on7 spring leagues at Lake Travis High School and we've beaten every team out there without mercy the last two years. It's not because they're bad teams. It's just that you can tell which teams play "neighborhood" flag leagues on a regular basis and which teams play the NFL Flag inter-leagues on a regular basis. There is a TREMENDOUS difference in speed, talent and coaching.

I found out the hard way. My oldest son's last season of i9 Sports was late 2009/early 2010. We scored 320 points in 6 games that season. Well, we moved to NFL Flag the very next season and our first game was against the Ravens. I'll never forget it. They scored 28 points against us in 15 minutes and we lost by mercy-rule before the first half was over.

It was very humbling. However, it was also the best thing that ever happened to us.

NFL Flag has a league close to you in Steiner Ranch, although the closest of the inter-league fields is in south Austin, I believe. Contact Neighborhood Sports for more information.