Y-coach.com - Forum
kaufdog2000

Need Help With Hitting Drills

I am a new coach for T-ball 5-6 years olds and have a very difficult time teaching the kids to hit off the "T" with any power. I have some backround in teaching older kids, but am not "connecting" with the younger kids. I have taught them stance and "squashing the bugs"(rotating thier hips), but i can't seem to teach them how to break their writsts on their swings. Are there any drills or ideas you all may have that can help, or am i just expecting to much from this age group?

I have used a soccer/volley ball sitting on the tee (use a plunger through the tee to hold the ball). The bigger ball makes them swing harder and I work on making sure they follow through and don't stop the swing on contact. Can make it competetive and see who hits the ball farthest to help them swing hard and follow through.

• Like 1

I have used a soccer/volley ball sitting on the tee (use a plunger through the tee to hold the ball). The bigger ball makes them swing harder and I work on making sure they follow through and don't stop the swing on contact. Can make it competetive and see who hits the ball farthest to help them swing hard and follow through.

This!

We used this technique as well and it makes a huge difference.

We've also used water balloons on warm days. Kids want to smash those. ;)

On the flip side, if you have kids that are having trouble throwing hard, introduce target games, or dodge ball.

That gets them to throw hard and straight too.

The big ball does work. I would recommend a rubber playground ball over a soccer ball but either will work.

The other thing that comes to mind with this young age group is to spend time going through the mechanics slowly. In order to build enough muscle memory to execute a skill at full speed you must first spend time getting down the correct mechanics in slow motion. If you can't complete the drill correctly at 20 percent speed how can you expect they can complete it correctly at full speed.

So my two cents slow it down. Take your time developing the correct mechanics with this age group. When you slow it down and repeatedly give them positive reinforcement they will pick it up and execute it correctly

Good luck coach. Let us know how its going.

It is a good idea to get young kids using good mechanics early. Here are some drills that may help "15 baseball hitting drills". Also if you want to break down their swing and view them frame by frame you can use this new site MotionSportsLab.com that allows you to do this for free. Also on their blog it shows you some basics on what to look for in a swing. Good Luck!