Y-coach.com - Forum
ediman

Can't Throw Ball Straight

I can't figure out why my daughter does not throw straight 40% of the time.

We make sure her glove shoulder is pointing directly at the target right up until she releases the ball.

She is 11 and has has a good arm. When she misses the target about 60 feet away, the ball goes about 10 feet from the target.

Any ideas?

I can't figure out why my daughter does not throw straight 40% of the time.

We make sure her glove shoulder is pointing directly at the target right up until she releases the ball.

She is 11 and has has a good arm. When she misses the target about 60 feet away, the ball goes about 10 feet from the target.

Any ideas?

My daughter had the same problem last year and the way I helped her was shortening her throw and slow it down. Most of the time kids will just whip thier arms and forget thier release point or following through to thier target.Also have her stand open or sideways(it helps the arm rotate naturally) from the target and get into her "L" with the glove hand pointing at the target and her throwing arm bent at a 90 degree angle then with a ball and only throwing about 10 feet away have her slowly go through the throwing motion bring the ball by her ear and finish by pointing at her target as she follows through after release.I did this with my daughter for about two weeks moving back 5-10 feet as she became more consistant at the shorter ranges.Just keep reminding to slow the arm motion down if she starts to get wild so she can remeber her release point and the follow through.Like I said it only took a couple of weeeks and the muscle memory was there and she stopped worrying about the throw itself and was able to concentrate on her target better,By the way my daughter is now a starting pitcher and I thank those simple fundementals for it.Individual results may cause you to continue this throughout the season though it happens they throw a little wild and it shakes thier confidence happens in the pros even just reminder her and continue to practice it if need be.I hope this helps it certainly did with me when I was younger and has helped my daughter greatly as well.

Most throwing problems in regard to accuracy can be found in the thrower's footwork. Have your daughter (guessing she's right handed) step with her right foot - turning it out - perpindicular to her body - which will turn the front shoulder properly as she steps through with the back leg to throw. Leading with the glove hand can be counterproductive - the glove hand can wander off target causing the throw to follow. I have seen it taught to point the led elbow - keeping the glove tucked - this method seems to work well for some kids. My guess is - check out her feet and make sure she's stepping correctly. Hope this helps.

CoachH

Are you saying she should throw when she steps and turns her right foot or are you saying step and turn the right foot and then step with the left foot as she throws?

Most throwing problems in regard to accuracy can be found in the thrower's footwork. Have your daughter (guessing she's right handed) step with her right foot - turning it out - perpindicular to her body - which will turn the front shoulder properly as she steps through with the back leg to throw. Leading with the glove hand can be counterproductive - the glove hand can wander off target causing the throw to follow. I have seen it taught to point the led elbow - keeping the glove tucked - this method seems to work well for some kids. My guess is - check out her feet and make sure she's stepping correctly. Hope this helps.

Maybe I didn't explain it well - I apologize. Just do this - Go out in the backyard and play catch with your daughter - Have her face you as you face her. Tell her to step and throw. What you want her to do is to step toward you with her right foot - only to turn her foot outward - point the toe away from her body - perpindicular to her - plant it - step through with the left foot and throw. When she steps with the left foot her front shoulder (left shoulder) is going to turn and align properly with the target (it's a closed front shoulder). This is important in the alignment of the throw and the footwork create this proper alignment of the front side. Upon planting the left foot and throwing - she can go ahed and follow through by bring the back hip (right hip) through her throw as her arm follows through towards the ground naturally. Sequence with the feet: Right foot plant (perpindicular), left foot plant (creates a closed front side), right hip/foot follow through on the throw. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. And also I'd like to know if this improves her accuracy.

Coach

We'll keep trying.

It's not working yet. sometimes her throws are bullets right at the target. About 1/3 of the time her throwas are still way off. The foot seems to be planted correctly.

Maybe I didn't explain it well - I apologize. Just do this - Go out in the backyard and play catch with your daughter - Have her face you as you face her. Tell her to step and throw. What you want her to do is to step toward you with her right foot - only to turn her foot outward - point the toe away from her body - perpindicular to her - plant it - step through with the left foot and throw. When she steps with the left foot her front shoulder (left shoulder) is going to turn and align properly with the target (it's a closed front shoulder). This is important in the alignment of the throw and the footwork create this proper alignment of the front side. Upon planting the left foot and throwing - she can go ahed and follow through by bring the back hip (right hip) through her throw as her arm follows through towards the ground naturally. Sequence with the feet: Right foot plant (perpindicular), left foot plant (creates a closed front side), right hip/foot follow through on the throw. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. And also I'd like to know if this improves her accuracy.

CoachH

Are you saying she should throw when she steps and turns her right foot or are you saying step and turn the right foot and then step with the left foot as she throws?

I have always taught the foot should be planted before she throws otherwise she will not be balanced and her throw will still sail on her. If you can get her to hit her targets consitantly then she will begin to adjust her footwork and not be overly concerned about making a bad throw because she will have the confidence in her accuracy and not be awkward or unbalanced. When you watch her footwork just make sure her front foot is pointing at her target and she shifts her weight into the throw, she will throw the ball more accurately and faster. Good luck coach I think this is a problem most of the kids starting out have trouble with.

What I always like to remind my girls is that wherever you palms is facing that is where the ball in going to automaticly go. Also if she is releasing the ball, make sure her upper body is faceing her target.