Y-coach.com - Forum
CoachingPower

5 Out Offense

Hello All--I'm thrilled to be part of this coaching community. I wanted to swing through and turn coaches on to a couple of free/inexpensive resources avaliable to the coaching community. The old fashion favorites are still around like Coaches Clipboard by Coach Gels, but Coach Mac's has recently launched their new series of basketball e-playbooks as well as coupled their system with a blog by Coach himself at http://www.squidoo.com/High-School-Basketball-Offenses with topics revolving around basketball statistics to know, scouting your the other team, and winning with the dribble.

If you're interested swing through say 'hello' and download your free copy of Coach Mac's e-playbook--Lethal Out of Bounds Plays. http://www.coachmac-basketball.com

Hello All--I'm thrilled to be part of this coaching community. I wanted to swing through and turn coaches on to a couple of free/inexpensive resources avaliable to the coaching community. The old fashion favorites are still around like Coaches Clipboard by Coach Gels, but Coach Mac's has recently launched their new series of basketball e-playbooks as well as coupled their system with a blog by Coach himself at http://www.squidoo.com/High-School-Basketball-Offenses with topics revolving around basketball statistics to know, scouting your the other team, and winning with the dribble.

If you're interested swing through say 'hello' and download your free copy of Coach Mac's e-playbook--Lethal Out of Bounds Plays. http://www.coachmac-basketball.com

I think you will like being a part of this coaching community.I have learned much having been here and communicated with other more skilled coaches. I'm looking at that link you were kind enough to include in your thread.Personally I can't wait to get the season going again.What age group do you coach?I coach 7/8th grade boys.Go back through my threads and you'll find out a little about me and what helps/hinders me in becoming the coach I want to be.Looking forward to sharing more ideas.Welcome!!!

I think you will like being a part of this coaching community.I have learned much having been here and communicated with other more skilled coaches. I'm looking at that link you were kind enough to include in your thread.Personally I can't wait to get the season going again.What age group do you coach?I coach 7/8th grade boys.Go back through my threads and you'll find out a little about me and what helps/hinders me in becoming the coach I want to be.Looking forward to sharing more ideas.Welcome!!!

Coach, I remember when I started by first varsity coaching position nearly 11 years ago. I was the youngest head basketball coach in the state of Oregon, coaching varsity men's basketball at a small school in the eastern part of the state. I spent most of my time searching endless hours, high and low for great basketball resources that would cure my thirst for the up coming season. Even though the season is 7 months away, you can never get a jump on your coaching strategy too early. I was lucky enough to coach both men's and women's varsity basketball and find a great deal of success doing both. You can find a great deal of 'sound' advice by participating in these forums--which is why I check in every now and again.

I must say, the link to Coach Mac's Basketball playbooks I provided in my initial post is growing like wildfire. I'm not sure people really believed the way I preached the value of a $10 e-playbook. Personally, I love their Monster Flex series. If you're a young coach the one thing I can offer you in advice when coaching middle school youth, don't make things to complicated. Use strategy like the flex and a man-to-man defense to build fundamentals. Your ability to teach fundamentals is what will provide you opportunity to advance within the coaching ladder.

I'd love to help more where I can. Please feel free to ask any questions. Again, check out the great resources avaliable on the web like Coach Macs at http://www.coachmac-basketball.com

FaxFlyer1.1.pdf

Coach, I remember when I started by first varsity coaching position nearly 11 years ago. I was the youngest head basketball coach in the state of Oregon, coaching varsity men's basketball at a small school in the eastern part of the state. I spent most of my time searching endless hours, high and low for great basketball resources that would cure my thirst for the up coming season. Even though the season is 7 months away, you can never get a jump on your coaching strategy too early. I was lucky enough to coach both men's and women's varsity basketball and find a great deal of success doing both. You can find a great deal of 'sound' advice by participating in these forums--which is why I check in every now and again.

I must say, the link to Coach Mac's Basketball playbooks I provided in my initial post is growing like wildfire. I'm not sure people really believed the way I preached the value of a $10 e-playbook. Personally, I love their Monster Flex series. If you're a young coach the one thing I can offer you in advice when coaching middle school youth, don't make things to complicated. Use strategy like the flex and a man-to-man defense to build fundamentals. Your ability to teach fundamentals is what will provide you opportunity to advance within the coaching ladder.

I'd love to help more where I can. Please feel free to ask any questions. Again, check out the great resources avaliable on the web like Coach Macs at http://www.coachmac-basketball.com

I've learned alot over my 1st 3 years coaching at this level and my 2nd school now.Too be a skills coach and not necessarily a drills coach.Maybe you could help me as I was going to address this topic on this forum tonight when I got time.My question is do you stay with the same plays(playbooks)year after year so the kids can learn and be comfortable.Obviousely this is the level we play alot of man2man because thats what the next level will require(High School).I've got the man 2 man,2-3 which personally I don't like because it's a lazy man's defense,the 1-3-1 Trapping defense is my favorite.We don't take care of the ball on offense and we get beat back down the floor alot for easy fast breaks.My emphasis this year will most definetely be that the practices have to be harder than the games.This school is not used to winning and I'm trying to change that.They can't keep a coach longer than a year so I told'em as a promise that I'll be there for 3-5 years to give them some reassuarance.Also something else they've never had in there town is a basketball camp which is going to be called Katz Camp that I'm putting on.I'm a passionate coach as you may can tell but Im 43 years young.lol Keep the conversation going please.

I've learned alot over my 1st 3 years coaching at this level and my 2nd school now.Too be a skills coach and not necessarily a drills coach.Maybe you could help me as I was going to address this topic on this forum tonight when I got time.My question is do you stay with the same plays(playbooks)year after year so the kids can learn and be comfortable.Obviousely this is the level we play alot of man2man because thats what the next level will require(High School).I've got the man 2 man,2-3 which personally I don't like because it's a lazy man's defense,the 1-3-1 Trapping defense is my favorite.We don't take care of the ball on offense and we get beat back down the floor alot for easy fast breaks.My emphasis this year will most definetely be that the practices have to be harder than the games.This school is not used to winning and I'm trying to change that.They can't keep a coach longer than a year so I told'em as a promise that I'll be there for 3-5 years to give them some reassuarance.Also something else they've never had in there town is a basketball camp which is going to be called Katz Camp that I'm putting on.I'm a passionate coach as you may can tell but Im 43 years young.lol Keep the conversation going please.

We build upon our play book each year, this helps the kids be able to run a variety of offenses and defenses and then variations of them. By starting basic and then adding stuff that will fit to your players skills helps them gain confidence.

We build upon our play book each year, this helps the kids be able to run a variety of offenses and defenses and then variations of them. By starting basic and then adding stuff that will fit to your players skills helps them gain confidence.

Again, a good learner understands to take away from these forums what you feel will best help your team and discard the rest. In terms of year-to-year strategy you need to evaluate your teams strengths and weakness and assess them against the strengths of your offensive and defensive strategy. A good rule of thumb is to pick a philosophy that your programs centers around--are you a run-and-gun, control, or pressure still team? Then decide what strategy to use based on this assessment. Run the same basic offensive and defensive sets from your youth program up to the varsity players. This will assure they are getting a healthy does of the foundation you've build your program around, plus it allows kids to get see the offense through different eyes for each coach will present it slightly different. In short make an assessment first and go from their.

Guys, not trying to steal the thunder from this forum, but I am going to ask Coach Mac to start his own coaching forum so I can focus more on one area instead of the 10 different forums I am a part of. I'd still love to answer your questions please look at http://www.coachmac-basketball.com and click on the forum.

Good Luck!

Was the intention here to actually talk about a "5 out offense" or is this thread just an insincire attempt to lure me over to another web site where the goal is to try to sell me e-books after I download one worthless piece of crap OOB e-book?

Was the intention here to actually talk about a "5 out offense" or is this thread just an insincire attempt to lure me over to another web site where the goal is to try to sell me e-books after I download one worthless piece of crap OOB e-book?

Coach

Sorry to hear you so upset over the suggestion of a good resource. The initial intent of this post was to discuss the 5 out motion, however such is the case with many forum topics, side discussions often prevail. An effort was made to answer those questions.

Now, sounds like you're interested in the 5 out motion. Let's discuss. What element of the motion does your team use?