Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
YMCA Coach

And So It Begins ...

Okay, opening weekend, and we had the 2nd game to be played. The first game, the season opener, ended in a close game, we had no reason to believe ours would be any different.

Just a quick review of my team. 10 players (one of whom has been injured since before the season started). I requested several players, and most were not assigned to my team. I knew most of them prior to the season starting. Once again, I have the shortest team in the league. Always happens that way, for good or ill I don't know. But I've got a team where I've got my bigger guards playing underneath.

Anyway, game starts off, we lose the tip-off, and the other team drives, gets fouled, hits one of two. 7 seconds in, 1 foul and down 1-0. The thing is, from there, it improved dramatically. We dominated from there on out, primarily with defense, and finished up winning 29-10. Some people might not agree, but I even pushed them as the game drew toward a close. The fourth quarter started, we were ahead 16-6. I told my players to look at the scoreboard. And I informed them that the score was now 0-0. I wanted a ten point lead at the end. Well, they won the quarter 13-4.

I was so proud of them, of their defensive effort. There were nearly no offensive rebounds, despite them having a height advantage over my boys - 3 of their boys were taller than any of mine, and I had the shortest 4 players to step on the court! But they worked hard, boxed out, fought for position, and in the end that made a big difference.

The offense started off rough, but picked up and we had an assist on over half our baskets, so it's coming along!

1-0, can't start better than that!

• Like 1