Y-coach.com - Forum
cougs4ever

Orange! Play Help Needed

Could you e-mail me your plays? I'm a new coach with 6/7 year-olds. Thanks!

cougs_4ever@yahoo.com

I've been reading these boards for a week, and wanted to thank everyone here who is helping other coaches.

Thanks everybody.

I think I might try to see if they can handle a shuffle pass, but downfield routes are out.

Shuffle pass, end arounds and quick drags. If you have a kid who can really huck it long, maybe try that a few times when you can pull the defense in on a fake run or double pass.

Thanks everybody.

I think I might try to see if they can handle a shuffle pass, but downfield routes are out.

The shuffle pass was probably our best play last season. Ironically, not a single team used it against us. I would not dismiss downfield routes altogether, however. You might be surprised at how well some kids can throw/catch at that age. I coached k-2nd grade last season, and we were pretty much balanced running/throwing. A few teams were pretty much run-n-shoot (meaning they threw 90-plus percent of the time).

The idea behind a shuffle pass (in my opinion) is to catch the defense off-guard. In other words, for it to work they must respect the downfield pass. If not, they will simply stack the line, and the play is doomed. A few teams we played this year dismissed passing completely. It became obvious by the 2nd quarter they were not going to throw, thus we just shut them down by stacking everyone in the box. Even if you feel like your downfield passes will not be effective, I'd still recommend to incorporate them into your playbook (and gameplan). It will open up other opportunities in the running/short passing game, and will give your players experience throwing/catching in game situations. You can find a few of my sample passing plays (including the shuffle passes) in the following links. I hope this helps--good luck!

http://www.y-coach.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1423

http://www.y-coach.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1318

Man, do I love that center drag for the little kids. I call it my money play. Put in a fake end around in the other direction first and it's golden. That's one play I never saw someone else use and it's so darn effective.

Man, do I love that center drag for the little kids. I call it my money play. Put in a fake end around in the other direction first and it's golden. That's one play I never saw someone else use and it's so darn effective.

I used that play of your's as well. I think what I liked about it best is that it is easy to perform. We used it for those players who weren't athletic enough to get open at WR position to try and get them some catches. Since we also make sure everyone gets to play QB at least 5-10 plays during the season, we also used it and put our best kid at center. In two instances, kids that would normally never be able to throw a TD pass, threw a TD pass via the center drag.

Combine a end around with a slightly deeper center drag and you're talking REAL money. Once the end-around works a couple/few times, having the end run a bit deeper and toss it to the center rolling to the same side, but about 10 yards downfield.

PF