Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tazman

7 0N 7 12-13 Yo

Been doding the 5 on 5 for years and now my sons tackle football program is starting up a 7 on 7 flag league. Kind of a new format for me though and curious as to what type of offense others would run. It is a league of no running the ball, we are allowed screen passes or pitches which I guess we could count as a run, sort of.Passing the is the name of the game. Teaching very good ruote running will be essential.

Defense is only allowed to use 1 rusher. I dont think they have to be any certain numbers of yards from the line of scrimmage. Guess we better hope we have some good athletes or play some very disciplined zone defense. Leagues starts in about 3 weeks and they are allowing 2 hours of practice 2 nights a week. Seems like plenty of practice time compared to the 1 hour we were allowed 1 time a week before.

ok, my bad. there are no pitches aloud. Field is 65 yards long and there are 2 first down markers on the field. Also, on 4th down you have the option of going for a first down or punting which really isnt punting but the other team getting the ball back at the 5 yd line.

Defense is only allowed to use 1 rusher. I dont think they have to be any certain numbers of yards from the line of scrimmage.
This is a HUGE factor, imo. I can't imagine they will let the rusher come from anywhere. If I was allowed to have 1 rusher from anywhere, I'm sending him from the los every time to pressure your QB into a quick throw. I'd also call audibles so the offense wouldn't know which person was rushing. That would make me less worried about the deep pass, since my rusher is more than likely forcing a quick short pass. I'd have more defenders up close to cover the short pass.

If that's not the case and the rusher has to come from 7 yards out, I'd work up some possibilities for zones you might see and develop sets of plays for those. Doubt you'll see much M2M. I'm guessing you'll see more cover 2 or cover 3 type zones, so something along the lines of a 2-3-2 or 1-3-3.

If all you can do is pass, you're correct, proper route running will be a big key. Practicing the routes until they can execute them with confidence will help a ton. I've seen kids turn a 5 yard out into a 15 yard funky looking slant pattern and think nothing of it.

Check out the "open grass" concept for your QB, I used it in 5 on 5.

College and adult league 7 on 7 "screen" flag football is a rush from anywhere game. Typically 1 yard off the ball. You can typically rush any number of people. Sometimes, the offense will put in "screen" blockers to counter the rush, but I dont like the style. Screen blockers are players that can move with their hands behind their backs and basically set a moving basketball screen. No contact is really allowed except to get past the blocker.

The offense will have to attack with quick hit passes and misdirection type plays. However, I would say that this is not a good style for 12-13 year old kids as the rush can come very fast if you are not prepared for it. I have played against some teams (as an adult) that literally took a shotgun snap with the QB about 12-15 yards deep. It was like a punt snap to a QB. It was not fun rushing that QB.

CoachRob- yep, its true. One rusher from anywhere they want to come from. Think I will be at a slight disadvantage until a game or so till I get adjusted to this type of defensive pressure or more importantly my qb.

TeeDub- go ahead and explain the misdirection you are talking about if you could for this type of offense because I am more familiar with misdirection I used being able to run and such. I appreciate it.

Shotgun snap on offense for sure. Not sure about misdirection since play action really means nothing in this league, maybe TeeDub has something in mind there though. I would, however, teach my QB to look off the defender, if he locks in on the primary receiver right away, you're asking for some easy picks. Teaching the receiver and QB to work together on pump fakes would be another option.

Proper route running will be a big factor, but I think your QB is going to be a bigger factor. I'd be working with the QB on proper footwork, handling the rush, and how to scan the field. As far as offensive schemes, I'd work up some zone D's you think you might see and develop plays around that with primary and secondary receivers.

I've coached 5 v 5 for 4 years, new to 7v7.

I'm thinking always shotgun, then hand off, therefore the "QB" can run and pass. Any thoughts.

I've coached 5 v 5 for 4 years, new to 7v7. I'm thinking always shotgun, then hand off, therefore the "QB" can run and pass. Any thoughts.
Depends upon the rules in your league. In tazman's league, there is no running at all, only passes.

At this age and with the rules as I understand, there is more need for quick passes or passes to spots since the rush can come fast and often. I coach youth and play adult league. The 7-man leagues allow the QB to run. If the QB can run, I am all for an option formation that can go either left or right, so almost a wishbone formation with 2 RBs on either side of the QB. You can have 2 WRs on one side and 1 WR on the other of the LOS. On the strong side with 2 WR, have them line up wide and close to each other. Have the outside WR run a go route to stretch the CB deep. Have the inside WR run a quick slant short across the field. If the QB can read the defense, have them run option to the strong side. He will have a route going deep, one going short (slant) going across in opposite direction and a pitch man (RB) for the option or he can keep it.

In terms of misdirection, in youth this works very well with play action passes and roll out as the kids will go for the fake. At this age, probably not so much, but that doesnt mean you cant do it. For example, I ran this play with success just last week. This was 5v5 and they were rushing me hard at QB. The defense was lined up pretty deep and were dropping deep to cover the go routes. So, I took the shotgun snap and immediately ran left. The rusher chased me and I had the slot WR cut in front of me and take the handoff for a reverse. The rusher never saw him coming and after he got the ball, he was open for 20 yards easy as the go routes cleared out the defense. So, it was a little misdirection with a reverse from the slot position. OR, have the slot take the handoff and then he has the option to run or throw as long as he is behind the LOS.

Just some examples I have used. However, the real threat is the passing and if you have a QB that can throw it, I love nothing more than go routes and quick slants. If they are playing tight defense, have the QB throw to a spot 30 yards down the sideline and have the WR just out run the D on a go route. If they start to back off, hit them with quick slants and then cut up field. Take what the defense gives you. I know it is easier said than done, but flag is all about the QB and passing. Simple is best and usually works. I use the passing tree in my adult league and sometimes I will call the plays from the formation so I can see what the D is giving me. If I see a hole, I call a route to get there and hit them quickly. I think teenagers can do this as well.