Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Texas_D_Coach

Game Day Chants And Stuff To Get The Kids Hyped

I am looking for some chants and other game day things you other coaches do to get the kids hyped before the game and at halftime. Are there any special drills you use just before the game to pump them up and get their confidence up?

Think it's on one of those videos I posted, we get all the parents and kids together and do a chant before each game. I usually lead it... we'll chant something that I want them to remember in the game. So... it goes something like... "When I say X, you say Y" and move on to different key words. I repeat certain words over and over to get them hyped. Might just be our team name at the end several times. Having the parents involved in the cheer/chant ups the volume and intensity.

We also run the Gauntlet drill at the end of practice. We're pumping them up because the drill moves fast, looking for good fast runs and good flag pulls. Yelling praises if someone scrapes a flag at the beginning of the drill or blows by the defenders. It incorporates handoffs, running fast hard - not looking down, and good solid flag pulling. I think the drill is in the post rush did about drills in the Drill section.

<br />Think it's on one of those videos I posted, we get all the parents and kids together and do a chant before each game. I usually lead it... we'll chant something that I want them to remember in the game. So... it goes something like... "When I say X, you say Y" and move on to different key words. I repeat certain words over and over to get them hyped. Might just be our team name at the end several times. Having the parents involved in the cheer/chant ups the volume and intensity.<br /><br />We also run the Gauntlet drill at the end of practice. We're pumping them up because the drill moves fast, looking for good fast runs and good flag pulls. <b>Yelling</b> praises if someone scrapes a flag at the beginning of the drill or blows by the defenders. It incorporates handoffs, running fast hard - not looking down, and good solid flag pulling. I think the drill is in the post rush did about drills in the Drill section.<br />
Thanks Rob,

I did watch your video several times, but I could make out what you guys were saying on the first cheer. I heard the second 2 though. If you can give me more examples that would be great. I am drawing a total blank on this.

Best thing is to experiment with different chants/cheers. I like involving the parents, siblings, grandparents, dogs, etc. because it pumps everyone up and the kids alone don't seem to generate enough volume.

One cadence I came up with goes something like this with a military type chat going on (I've done variations with different phrases):

Me (drill sarge voice): I don't know but I've been told

Group: repeats

Me: Mom and dad are gettin' old

Me: Guess I'll have to run and run

Me: And show them how to have some fun

Then I go into:

When I say Growling you say Tigers and pretty much repeat the growling and they keep saying tigers... sometimes we do it with low volume to begin and increase the volume to get them pumped. If your team name has two words you can use that or pick two other words. Tell them ahead of time that when you yell FLAG they yell PULL or PUMPED and UP, whatever combo works for you.

Honestly, I don't think it really matters what you yell as a group, kids just like to yell. I try not to drag it out too long, maybe 10-15 seconds?

I usually only do the cadence chant a couple of times during the season, most of the time we stick with the two word deals. The key is to get as many people involved as possible - get that volume pumped up.

Don't know if you ever saw the movie about the Marshall football team that died in the plane crash. Anyway, Marshall had/has a chant that goes "We Are --- Marshall!" with emphasis on each syllable. I used something similar for the younger kids (up to 4th graders) with "We Are - Bulldogs! Woof! Woof! Woof!" Kids loved it and no one else did anything similar.

Husker

Great stuff guys. Thanks!!

I also did some searching yesterday and found a couple others I plan on using this season, so thought I would post them here for everyone else too:

1. This one is alot like Coach Rob's...Coach says "What Time Is It?" in a low voice.

Then the team and parents say "Gametime". Coach and team repeats several times getting louder each time until eventually you're yelling as loud as you can.

2. Coach "Who are we"...Team "Bears (or whatever your team name is)". Repeat several times.

One I think the kids will like is at the end of the other chants, the coach says "All the dogs in the house"... and the players all start barking "woof, woof, woof". Thanks HuskerFan

Lol thankfully with older kids all we had to do was give a motivational speech and they get it.Its a plus at that age.We would break it down loud & proud.(team name) on 3 ready, 1, 2, 3 (team name) then we ready break down, ready hit it, clap, clap with 3 quick claps...loved it!

Before our games, I tend to keep my players very loose. In fact, we typically discuss anything but football. I do this because I know they've practiced their tails off that week and they are as prepared as they are going to be. I see nothing wrong with pre-game chants---most teams in our league do it, but part of me wants the opposing team to think we are just a bunch of guys that have had little--if any--preparation. I find it to also be good bonding experience before the game to let them just come up with their own games (monkey in the middle, dodge football, etc). :-)

Last season we played a team that had an INCREDIBLE pre-game chant. They did it in in the middle of the field right before the first play, and they looked like Ray Lewis and the Ravens circa 2000 (they were big). I could see my players were a little wide-eyed at that (it was pretty intimidating), so I had my team go up and tell the players how cool that was--which rattled them a little I think. ;-)

In this game--my son--who is our QB, said one of the funniest things at the LOS scrimmage before calling his cadence on one play. We had just gone up 13-0 on our second series. As he stepped up under center before the extra-point, he looked at the defense and said, "You know? Y'all do a better chant than us, but I think we play better football." He knows my stance on trash-talking, and I gave him a pass on this one, a) because it was one of the funniest things I'd ever heard, and B) I could tell by the way he said it, he meant no malice. He was just being matter-of-fact. In his mind he was just "conversing" with the opponent. The officials were also bent over with laughter at that. Again, I think the chants are pretty cool. Maybe I've just been too lazy to teach them.

In this game--my son--who is our QB, said one of the funniest things at the LOS scrimmage before calling his cadence on one play. We had just gone up 13-0 on our second series. As he stepped up under center before the extra-point, he looked at the defense and said, "You know? Y'all do a better chant than us, but I think we play better football". He knows my stance on trash-talking, and I gave him a pass on this one, a) because it was one of the funniest things I'd ever heard, and I could tell by the way he said it, he meant no malice. He was just being matter-of-fact. In his mind he was just "conversing" with the opponent. The officials were also bent over with laughter at that.

That is hilarious. We ran into a couple of teams like that last year. I could tell it intimidated our kids, so that's part of the reason for giving them their own chant to help pump them up and give them their own thing to focus on right before the game.

Well intimidation is a huge factor.Out of the 8 games we played we walked into about 4 of them winning before it started because the other team was like whoooaaa those guys are big.Then they heard our chant and how loud we make it.Game was over before it even started.We had some tall kids.We had 13 kids and some kids we had a like 4-5 kids 5'7 & up.One was even 6'0 ft tall and was 12.LOL

Caught an ultimate frisbee tournament near my house today. Cool sport with some talented players plus a few crazy chants. Think I will try a few tomorrow for our game.

Similar to this one.