Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Coach AC

Trying To Stop The Sweep

Looking for any help on stopping the sweep. I'm coaching 5,6 and 7 years old kids. I have to run 6 4 1 defense. Where should I put my stud players at and hide the weaker one. Any help would be great. Also were would be the correct lineament form LOS.

i would hide the weaker players on the inside of the dline...studs would play LB for me.as far as stopping the sweep goes i would spread out the dline then spread the LB's out.that will definitely help.how do you have your dline shoot?are they shooting to the inside or outside gap on there side?

This is the million dollar question. At this age it is mostly run based offensives that will try and break it to the outside with sweeps or off tackle runs. I would put my best players in the outside triangles (as I call it). That would be the DE, CB and outside LB. I would have my DE primary job is to run 2 yards deep and then down the LOS on both sides. This is to push them either inside or deeper in their back field if they run. I would have the CB come up to contain behind the DE. I would have the LB waiting to attack the off tackle run if they are successful in pushing the inside.

We see a lot of Double Wing formations, so I developed this for my D Coordinator. Open and print this .pdf of our 6-3 or 5-4 diagrams. You will see what I mean by the triangles and zone areas. Pay attention to lining up wide or atleast to the outside of the blocker.

I would also hide my players inside on the D line.

Defenses.pdf

This is the million dollar question. At this age it is mostly run based offensives that will try and break it to the outside with sweeps or off tackle runs. I would put my best players in the outside triangles (as I call it). That would be the DE, CB and outside LB. I would have my DE primary job is to run 2 yards deep and then down the LOS on both sides. This is to push them either inside or deeper in their back field if they run. I would have the CB come up to contain behind the DE. I would have the LB waiting to attack the off tackle run if they are successful in pushing the inside.

We see a lot of Double Wing formations, so I developed this for my D Coordinator. Open and print this .pdf of our 6-3 or 5-4 diagrams. You will see what I mean by the triangles and zone areas. Pay attention to lining up wide or atleast to the outside of the blocker.

I would also hide my players inside on the D line.

how funny i run double wing...we go off your triangle and depending on they play depends on how we run.thats basically all we scout.then we take it from there :)

So, in your experience, where do you attack the most?

Base on the lineup, if the offense is good enough, I would attack my defense with dive plays. Which is kind of what I want you to do. I want you to go to the middle where all my kids can converge on you. If you can break a run off a dive play and go through all my defense, I will give it to you. However, I cant afford to let the off tackel or sweeps hit the outsides and we are left running down the sidelines after you.

Honestly, I try to set my kids up this way, but they never execute this 100% of the time. How would you defense the Double Wing offense? On offense, we run more of a spread Double Wing (or Flexbone) formation, but they are similar. You can sweep from either wing back with multiple blockers, you can fake the dive and then sweep, you can QB sweep with multiple blockers and a bunch of other misdirection plays. The offense is built around attacking the outsides. We can pass, so I split out the TEs to WRs and still maintain the wingbacks and RB in the backfield.

Looking for any help on stopping the sweep. I'm coaching 5,6 and 7 years old kids. I have to run 6 4 1 defense. Where should I put my stud players at and hide the weaker one. Any help would be great. Also were would be the correct lineament form LOS.

Hide the weaker players inside, nose guards....but them inside...because most teams will run off tackle and to the outside. Bring your corners up and outside. On this age level passing is probably rare.