Y-coach.com - Forum
Soonerhawk

Kickoff Return

We're struggling with how to teach our kids to block on kickoff return. We've taught the front line to drop back 5 yards then go get the man in their area. But, regardless of what we do it seems like we have 2 or 3 kids blocking one guy and others running free.

How do you guys teach your kids to know whom to block?

We put 2 men back, 2 ballcarrier weight men in the middle and 7 up front. We use area blocking after a 10 yd drop back. We usually return to a sidelines . If it.s a return right, the left side dropsback and to the middle to form the wall. We try to keep the spacing to a minimum to make the area block to a minimum. Slam anyone who comes to your area. Our outside front men are fast and good open field blockers to catch the outside man sprinting to the carrier. The 2 middle men fall back to form a team of blockers to lead the way and are responsible for leakage.

Breaking one is tough, so we strive for decent field position and discourage our return men from running wild. Stick to the plan and we'll do ok.

Question, any good training techs for fielding a kick on the fly, other than spending 30 mins doing kickoffs? Not all can do this well.

I teach my returners to reach for the ball, over their heads, and bring the ball into a basket of their arms and body. I stress to not let the ball fall directly into the basket, but to bring it in.

By doing this, they can more visually see the ball coming into their hands, instread of just watching come past their head.

seem to have good success, or just talented kids.

We put 5 up front; 4 in the middle and 2 men deep. We teach our front line to drop back and form a wedge in the middle of the field and then hit the first guy they see. We teach the second line to do the same thing IF the ball goes over their head. This gives us 2 wedges and we run straight to them. Like Pats said, we are not looking to break it for a TD but to get the best field position we can get. We do pretty well. If you have two or three kids hitting the same kid on a block, then they need to talk to each other...."I got right, i got right" or "I have him" or whatever.

Our largest problem with our deep men isn't actually making the catch but judging the 'height' of the kick and where it will actually drop. We had a lot of kicks over our heads early in the season. The issue wasn't where they lined up but coming up too fast. We moved our deep men back a little - I would rather catch it on a one hop than to turn around and run it down - and told them to be patient and let the ball come to them. We do pretty well catching the ball deep; we have some decent hands. We put better hands back there over our breakaway runners. If they are one and the same - great - if not, I want possesion rather than ten extra yards.

Sorry, i missed that part of the question.

4 guys on the 49, one,in the middle at the 44, two at the hash on the 38, 2 outside the hash at about the 32, then two deep men at the 25. this is four 8th graders.