Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Coach Larry

All Star Manager Selections

I manage a little league team. All Stars is coming up and our league uses standings as the criteria for selecting All Star managers. The first place Major's manager is selected (subject to Board approval) to manage the 11-12 all star team. The second place Major's manager gets the 10-11 all star team.

What do you think about that? In my opinion, the best managers are not always the manager's of the first place team. This system seems a little too "performance" based. A lot of times the first place team is the team with the best talent, even if the manager is not great.

I'd like to hear how other leagues select their managers.

(fyi - our team won the first half, so by default I will either be coaching the 11-12 or 10-11 team)

Our little league does the same thing. Winning teams manager has right of first refusal to coach the all-stars. To the victor goes the spoils. He/ she might not be the best manager but what is the alternative? There is so much politics in little league that you couldn't have voting or someone deciding for the league. Any way you go about it, there is sure to be some hurt feelings. Deciding it on the field leaves no room for whining.

My son is 12 and this was our first year of little league (and probably last). His team won the league and he was selected for all-stars. For whatever reason his regular season coaches were not the all-star team managers. At the time I thought this could be a good thing but it turned out to be awful as it was pretty much daddy ball. The two main coaches son's never sat and combined through our 4 games hit 3 for 30. We actually had a chance to stay in the tournament but our head coach decided to pitch his (all-american) son who walked three in the first and gave up a total of five run's in the first inning. After he finally pulled him it was 3-2 the rest of the way.

So I don't think it matter's either way. It depends on the indivual coach and if he is coaching for the right reason.

Charlie

Our little league does the same thing. Winning teams manager has right of first refusal to coach the all-stars. To the victor goes the spoils. He/ she might not be the best manager but what is the alternative? There is so much politics in little league that you couldn't have voting or someone deciding for the league. Any way you go about it, there is sure to be some hurt feelings. Deciding it on the field leaves no room for whining.

Pretty much what I would say.

Funny how time flies! Can't believe I posted this a year ago!

Anyway, our league has switched over to a new system and I'm excited about it. We are in the same district as Ocean View Little League and spoke to them about how they selected their All Star Managers. They let the players select the All Star Manager and it just so happens that the All Star manager for the LLWS champions was the last place manager in the league for that season.

I thought that was pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens to us this season.