Y-coach.com - Forum
sencollins

New To Coaching, New To The Forum

Hey all, I'm about to begin coaching my son for the first time and I'm looking to find out some expert advice from you all (or if you're new also get some of your questions). Since I don't know what I don't know, what's the biggest thing I should know or be looking to do as a first time coach?

Or put another way, what did you wish you had known from the beginning as a first time coach?

I'd love to hear your ideas. I'd also love to hear from any other first timers looking to use this thread so we can all help each other out.

Thanks in advance!

Josh

Looks like we're late replying to this topic. However, my first thought is "how old are the kids you are coaching?" That makes a tremendous difference in your approach.

Orange,

I agree age is everything as far as handling your group of kids.

Some of the most important things I have learned are as follows:

Have a team meeting before the season starts. Lay out your philosophy as a coach. Let the parents know what they can expect and then stick with your philosophy.

No matter your approach you will find some parents are not going to be happy with it. Having a team meeting and laying it out there stops a lot of the issues up front.

Be prepared for practice. Know what drills your going to run before you get there and know how much time your going to spend on each drill. Have a back up plan ready as some of the drills or things that you try and do in practice just don't work out.

Lastly, keep it fun and moving. Focus on fundamentals and not winning.

I think the biggest thing for new coaches is to be prepared and use your time management skills to best serve the team. Show up early for practices and stay until every child is gone. Lead by example and leave your ego in the car. Youth baseball is supposed to be fun first. Make sure that every child on the team gets some one on one time with the coach, listen to his concerns and hopes, and reward effort.