Y-coach.com - Forum

I am a 20 year old Jr. High Track and Field coach and this is my second year doing it. I had a question I was hoping some of you might help with. On days when we dont have a hard practice we like to incorprate some type of game into practice before we work on field events or something. I would like a new game to play. Right now we play something similar to tag called battleship and that keeps everybody running and we have fun at the same time. We also play relay races and something i came up with using a frisbee ( thought that one needs some fine tuning) Anyway any replies will be appreciated.

i coach basketball and i have found when my team is not doing so hot we play a different sport game. they all have fun and forget anything that happen in the last game. what im saying is you could play soccer, i know that all you do is run in soccer so i think it would be fun and good for them. best of luck.

Take a game, any game and really mess with the rules. If it's just for fun (and a little conditioning snuck in) nobody should mind. If you want to play soccer, add a little dribbling or make a ruling that goals only count if they're kicked in by the odd foot (LH for RH players etc.). How about a game of baseball played with a soccer ball? How about a basketball game where players have to leave the court as soon as they pass the ball and a sub comes on from the side? The point I'm trying to make is that it doesn't matter what the game or the rules are but the goofier the better.

I am a 20 year old Jr. High Track and Field coach and this is my second year doing it. I had a question I was hoping some of you might help with. On days when we dont have a hard practice we like to incorprate some type of game into practice before we work on field events or something. I would like a new game to play. Right now we play something similar to tag called battleship and that keeps everybody running and we have fun at the same time. We also play relay races and something i came up with using a frisbee ( thought that one needs some fine tuning) Anyway any replies will be appreciated.

This is a rugby coaching game for fairly young players but is might be a good one to try. It's taken from http://www.betterrugbycoaching.com

Fun game to coach core rugby skills

Make practising core rugby skills part of a fun game for players with the Tiger Tails game. This is a useful game for a training session where bad weather forces play indoors.

How to play Tiger Tails

Each tiger has a tag belt or “tail” tucked into the back of their shorts. The tail must be visible so that other tigers can grab it.

The tigers run around inside the playing area, collecting each other’s tails by pulling them out of another tiger’s shorts.

When a tiger collects a tail they add it to their own in their shorts. Other tigers can now collect however many tails they have.

If a tail drops to the floor, any tiger can collect it. However, the first to touch the tail wins it to avoid a tug-of-war.

Tigers cannot grip their tail to stop it being collected. They need to protect their tail by sprinting away, turning, using evasion skills and screening instead.

The game can be played to a time limit (two minutes, for example) and see which tiger has the most tails at the end.

Set up game

Prepare a 40m by 30m playing area or small gym/games hall. Use tag belts (if available) or old bibs or strips of material for the tails. Player numbers can extend to a class or squad size.

Scoring

The tiger with the most tails in their shorts wins.

What to call out

“Look for space and move into it.”

“Take short steps when changing direction.”

“Keep your head up to see what’s going on.”