Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
hayes77

2-1-2 Or 2-3

Alright so I'm coaching the defense for a 5 on 5 (11-14 age). I've read many of the posts and I think I like what the 2-1-2 has to offer as a base defense, with a quick swith to a 2-3 or 3-2 depending on what the offense is doing. I guess my question is: we cannot rush the QB until a 5 count, should the middle linebacker position scoot up a few yards to play the run initially and then shadow the QB before rushing?

In flag football, 5 seconds is a long time to hold the ball. I wouldnt rush at all unless you play a team that just lets the QB hold it and the WR run around until someone got open. I would play a 2-3 as I would be more concerned about the deep pass. In the 5v5 leagues I have coached and played, you have 3 or 4 downs to go to midfield and then 3 or 4 downs to the endzone. Typically, 25-35 yards or so on a set of downs. The deep passes are dangerous.

If they are using a RB, I would have the front 2 for the run and a deeper safety and the two corners playing deeper. Keep everything in front of you. You could have one of the front kids pressure the QB after the 5 seconds, but I would be surprised if QBs hold the ball that long. We have always played where you rush 7 yards back from the LOS. Even then, I dont rush as much.

If I played you and you played a 3-2 (3 up front) or the 2-3 with the middle safety cheating up to rush, I would send 3 deep and hit you down the middle or down the sides if you cheated in. Simple go routes on each side and my center right down the middle. Only when you started playing me on the deep pass and I started to run or quick slants, leaving me with 3rd and long, would I be worried.

Just my thoughts. Go with a 2-3 and worry about the deep passes first, then make sure you flag pull well for the short routes. Oh, can the QB run after 5 seconds? That might change things. Have one of the front kids play run and then rush or mirror the QB.

the QB can run after the 5 seconds. So the corners and safety are responsible (for the most part) their 3 zones the width of the field, with the safety having some freedom either way, depending on the offensive positioning? Is the 2nd guy up front (who is not covering the run then shadowing the QB) on the center? I appreciate the help. Any other pointers, I'm all eyes.

Kind of a cheesy set-up for the league to allow this imo, esp at the 11-14 age level. Here's prob what will happen. They will send receivers deep, and the QB will end up running. I like the mirror idea, but to beat that, I'd send two receivers deep along each sideline and one deep up the middle. I'd experiment with a 1-1-3 in this situation. You have 3 deep, 1 as a spy in the middle (best player) and 1 on los.

I agree Rob, it is a cheesy set-up, but it is what it is. I have plenty of talent and speed on the team, do you recommend the 1-1-3 as an effective base defense (considering the speed I will have). I know TD23 mentioned the 2-3 with 1 guy playing the run and then mirroring the QB, what would the other guys role be? Thanks...

Hayes,

Your league rules are unlike I've heard of before, but if you want to run zone, I would employ the 2-3 as Teedub suggested and the 1-1-3 that Rob suggested. At this age level most teams will be able to throw deep without a problem, so I'd play the 1-1-3 against the pass happy teams, and the 2-3 against teams that tend to run it more. I would make signals for the defense from the sideline for each defense, and call each one based on what you see in the offense.

Anytime the offense put a RB in the backfield I would switch to the 2-3. It will also be a better defense against fast sweep plays.

If you have great speed and talent though, I would experiment with M2M also though.

The more I think about this, I'd have audibles on defense and switch like Texas suggested. If it looks like a pass, maybe a 1-1-3, if it looks like a run switch to a 2-3. Giving teams different looks and sending different rushers will help. You could give a team one look before the snap and call an audible to switch. When it looked like a definite run, we had an audible to bring a guy right on the los lined up with the RB. His whole focus was to pull the flag if it was a hand off. If it was a fake, he dropped back to cover his zone. We pulled a lot of flags in the backfield with this strategy.

Btw? Who keeps track of the 5 seconds? How do you know when you're clear to rush?