Y-coach.com - Forum

I would like to get my kids into camping. We have gone tent camping once, in a campground (with an enormous water slide and other amenities), but not really done anything that I would consider "woodsy," etc.

That said, that is also the only time that *I* have ever been camping. I was wondering if any of you outdoorsmen could point me at some good resources so we can safely do some more "wilderness" type camping.

Thanks!

Jonathan

I would like to get my kids into camping. We have gone tent camping once, in a campground (with an enormous water slide and other amenities), but not really done anything that I would consider "woodsy," etc.

That said, that is also the only time that *I* have ever been camping. I was wondering if any of you outdoorsmen could point me at some good resources so we can safely do some more "wilderness" type camping.

Thanks!

Jonathan

I forget to look at the other forums and missed this post. I grew up camping and still get out as often as I can with my son.

We have a rather interesting hobby, we're amateur herpetologists. Basically, we go out looking for snakes, turtles, lizards, frogs, etc., which gives us an excuse to go camp out. I'll send you a link to our YouTube channel. I'm guessing your kids would probably get a kick out of it.

Our hobby has taken us all over the United States from Arizona to Florida. A lot of times we throw down our tent where we end up at that night, so we're not even in designated campsites most of the time. Sometimes we'll sleep out with just the bags, no tent (the videos will help you understand why we don't get uptight about that). We've camped in some pretty interesting places and never run into anything sketchy. I bring this up only to help dispel any unfounded fears about camping.

Regarding your requests for resources, if you dig around on the internet, I'm sure your state has sites that will list the local campgrounds. There's also probably a site for "Camping in ______(your state)" where you can get on some forums and ask questions.

You just have to get out there and not over-think it too much. Once you've done this a few times. you'll figure out if you need a bigger/smaller tent, find a place away from the crowds, better mattresses, better sleeping bags, more food, less food, closer to trails, closer to lakes, etc. Half the fun is being spontaneous and just exploring.

Most of the fears about camping out in the "wilderness" are unfounded when it comes to critters, depending upon where you live (e.g. Alaska w/ the grizzlies). Animals in general avoid people, you'll probably be lucky if you see anything unusual.

Because we're out looking for snakes, lizards, etc., by default we run across very cool scenery, hikes, animals, various weather conditions, and awesome people. The time spent with my son has been invaluable. Great conversations take place around the campfire and he's been exposed to some pretty cool stuff out in nature.

Send me a PM or ask away here if you have more specific questions.