Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
IFLY808

I9 U12 Best Offensive Formation

Im setting up this seasons defensive game plan and I find covering a twin WR set the hardest. The twin WR set really stretches out a defense and I find it the hardest formation to cover. With that said what formations do you run out of mostly? I would think this offensive formation would be dominant in this game as the QBs are mch more mature and most have a arm and can read a defense by now.

An unbalanced formation like twins or trips can definitely present challenges for a defense if they don't adjust. I run out of a twins formation quite a bit. My offensive style, however, is more about watching for weaknesses and trying to exploit them. Sometimes the formation will help with that, but usually it's more about the play execution. If we can pull off a good play action fake or maybe a pump fake, that's when things get interesting.

I like the trips formations alot. In our league alot of teams run a 2-1-2 defense, so I like to run trips to either side and overload the middle guy. This is very effective, especially if they rush or put the guy up close to the line.

I like to run plays that set up each other. I'll run 2 sweep plays in a row or something, and then fake the sweep and throw it deep the 3rd time.

I don't look for weaknesses as much as I should. I try to let the kids find the weaknesses if they can, but in close games I definitely help them out more by pointing stuff out to them.

I use to love basic spread formation & trips...i go to the point where we only ran those 2 formations....teams that played zone we would just flood there zone with a bootleg and they could never cover it.dont forget to use motion.its a huge help and gives your qb a presnap read if the def goes or stays with the motion guy...if teams are primarily playing man to man then just run crossing routes.if they are zone teams teach your WR to sit in the holes in the zone.

New to conversation/ coaching.

When you ask them to sit in the holes in the zone, are they running a route and are you giving them that play?

I got a qb who should be my wr or rb for his speed.

Good qb, always on the move. Need to settle him down and throw without scrambling as much. Quicker routes and simpler reads I think. 

Great topic. Please reply.