Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ctcoach

First Time Coaching Softball

I am in my first year of coaching my daughter and softball. I played baseball for many years growing up and played for the N.A.B.A(National Adult Baseball Assoc.) this will be my first season off in a while, so I can't say I have a problem with teaching the fundementals they were what allowed me to play for so long(approx.17yrs).My problem is that we are only on our 4th practice and I have already been approached by 5 or 6 parents with concerns over the manager of the team. Apparently he was rather loud and hard on the girls at times even after winning thier games. I originally was going to just ignoire them and see for myself if he acts inapropriately but I am now hearing complaints from girls on my daughters basketball team I coached this winter who had girls on his team last year, even the players themselves.These girls are between 9-12 yrs old so some have played for a few coaches already.

My lack of experiance in this area is leaving me with some concerns and hopefully maybe I can get some help from experiances some of you might have had. I guess my question is what should I be looking for as the year goes on I have had some tough coaches in the past but my little league coaches were all pretty nice guys and didn't yell a lot so thats how I have coached in the past to my daughter or anyone else.But I can't seem to figure out what are the signs I should be looking for and what to do when I notice anything going on.We have a code of conduct for coaches so I understand those guidelines and plan to enforce them if necassary but I don't want to act prematurely and have affect the team even woprse or backfire onto me.

So please any advice or previous experiances that any of you would be willing to share I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You

I am in my first year of coaching my daughter and softball. I played baseball for many years growing up and played for the N.A.B.A(National Adult Baseball Assoc.) this will be my first season off in a while, so I can't say I have a problem with teaching the fundementals they were what allowed me to play for so long(approx.17yrs).My problem is that we are only on our 4th practice and I have already been approached by 5 or 6 parents with concerns over the manager of the team. Apparently he was rather loud and hard on the girls at times even after winning thier games. I originally was going to just ignoire them and see for myself if he acts inapropriately but I am now hearing complaints from girls on my daughters basketball team I coached this winter who had girls on his team last year, even the players themselves.These girls are between 9-12 yrs old so some have played for a few coaches already.

My lack of experiance in this area is leaving me with some concerns and hopefully maybe I can get some help from experiances some of you might have had. I guess my question is what should I be looking for as the year goes on I have had some tough coaches in the past but my little league coaches were all pretty nice guys and didn't yell a lot so thats how I have coached in the past to my daughter or anyone else.But I can't seem to figure out what are the signs I should be looking for and what to do when I notice anything going on.We have a code of conduct for coaches so I understand those guidelines and plan to enforce them if necassary but I don't want to act prematurely and have affect the team even woprse or backfire onto me.

So please any advice or previous experiances that any of you would be willing to share I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You

i coach my daughter's fieldhockey team and i coach them the same way i coach my sons football team . this is with compassion, understanding, and patience. i never raise my voice unless a player is being disrespectful to a coach, referee, another player. etc. even then i explain myself in a controlled tone making sure that at the end of the disciplinary action, the situation is understood and resolved by all parties. i have found that confronting the types of coaches that you are referring to gets little resolve and causes strife in the team atmosphere. if it were me faced with the situation (which i have been in the past), i didn't try to change the coach but i went out of my way to balance his negative with my positive, always reassuring players and parents. hope this helps.

coach c

Coach c,

Thank you for your insight it is a good passive approach that shouldn't damage the team atmosphere which would be terrible.For a young team we have some very talented girls and I think we have a great season ahead of us and I want them to have as much fun this year as possible.Again thank you for you response.