Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gilbert Bears

Help With Designing Plays To Work Against Different Defences

I just wanted to start off by saying I love this forum, lots of good free information. I coach 2 teams one team 7-8 and the other 12-14. We play 5 on 5 with rushing allowed. My question is does anyone have certain plays to play against various defenses. The league we play in is very competititve. My 7-8 team is so far 4-1 for the season and we just got our first loss this pass weekend. Any help would be appreciated.

it's nice to see someone from chandler/gilbert on here. I usually run the same plays with man and zone. I coach a a 7-9 year old team and we one 20 games in a row we have mis direction plays and trick plays and it works alot. As far as the older divison we run a no huddle offense and it throws team off balance

It is nice to see another from AZ on here. We usually play 3 seasons of football which really help the kids improve. One thing I see is some of the coaches making adjustments to which ever "D" the other team is playing like 3-2, 2-3etc. I was just wondering if certain plays work better against different defensive formations. There is 1 team my 7-8's will be playing that has been just destroying teams and I really want to be prepared. Plus as competitive the games are for my 12-14 team I would like to hone my skills as a ccoach.

one of my favorite plays against a 3-2 because we see that alot is slaughter. You have 3 wideouts to the left. The center runs a 6 yard curl, the inside reciever runs a fly, the middle reciever runs a corner and the outside reciever runs a 5-7 yard in route. If the linebacker blitzes hit the center, if he stays hit the in route. Depending on the saftey we will either hit the corner or the fly. Another play i would do is the flying dutchman where i have 3 wideouts to the left, the insdie widout does a post, the middle reciever does a seam route so he's looking as soon as he clears the 3 guys up front and my outside reciever runs a fade attacking the other saftey and they make a mistake everytime

Right now you're asking a very broad open ended question so I can only give you a broad answer. We usually see three different defenses. Here they are with a little description on how I try to attack them:

1-1-3: This defense is very strong in the middle so the best way to attack it is to go outside. At the younger age levels, throws to the outside are difficult so roll your QB. Maybe stack that side with receivers AND roll the QB. You're playing with half the field but you'll have numbers. At the older ages, send receivers long to the outside, if uncovered, long passes. If the outside defenders drop deep (as they should) drag center and halfback to the outside flats and hit that all day long.

2-1-2: This defense is vulnerable in the middle. Hit crosses, drags and such over the middle behind the rusher. Watch the safeties to make sure they don't cheat into the middle, if they do burn them outside. Also, depending on what the corners do, you can have running lanes or if they pinch in, throw over their heads to the outside.

Man: Look for mismatches. Get a one on one iso play and go to town. Also, try floods, rubs, crosses to free your receivers.

If you have a more specific question, let me know.