Y-coach.com - Forum

What do you guys do when you run into the team coached by "that guy"

You know, the guy that thinks he is on the field playing.....barking out signals, etc., trying to coach the ball, and trying to tell his kids where the ball is going?

Our opponant this week...(3/4 grade, coachs allowed on the field)....the dude was in a two point stance barking signals like Mike Singletary and trying to disrupt our down/set/hike call with a loud yell at the "hike"....

I got off the field last season and let my boys run the show themselves...since it is "youth sports"

I didnt say anything....just let the guy make an ass of himself....

What do you do?

It's a good teaching moment for your kids. You can only control yourself you can't control what anyone else does. You are approaching it the correct way. Believe me the kids are watching you and will react accordingly.

In my years coaching my kids I ran into a few coaches like that and for the most part was able to ignore it. In fact I was like you and would go to the side lines or take a seat because if i didn't I would tend to get caught up in it.

One time during a basketball tournament I got caught up into the whole back and forth with another coach who was acting like he was an NBA coach and kept going on an on and we both ended up getting technicals called on us and told to sit down and my son who is now 19 still gives me a hard time about it.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Charlie

The one thing I would be a bit worried about and might casually mention to the refs is him disrupting the snap count. Most leagues have rules against that sort of thing (or perhaps I mis-interpreted what you said).

As Charlie above mentions, your best bet is to tell your players to tune him out like he isn't there and just focus on what they are supposed to do.

I have ran into many of the "win at all cost coaches" and I agree with macvolcan, speak with the officials before the game and just give them a heads up on what they may expect. Chances are it won't be a surprise to them.

You might also have a parent act like the coach in practice and yell out like he would so that you kids will be prepared. Don't approach it all serious with the kids treat it like the joke that it is and just tell them you want them to be prepared for that type of situation.

I have to say i usually don't get caught up in the win/lose aspect but focus on how well we executed our game plan, but I always enjoy beating these coaches. Good Luck - I hope you guys stick it to them.

Thanks guys....i work hard to try and teach my boys good sportsmanship, and games like this where another coach is out of line makes it tough....although as you say, a teachable moment for sure.

(BTW, we beat them handily) :)

Thanks...yes, same routine....comical really, as his team is not well coached, and all of the yelling and screaming doesnt make it better for the boys....too bad really. Kids learning bad technique and bad sportsmanship on top of it. My group of famlies is in it for the fun and the compitition. We like to win of course, but will not compromise on the sportsmanship side of things. I still view the 9 and 10 year olds as kids, there will be plenty of time for intense competition, but in my opinion this is the time for learning how to win and lose with honor, and improving their individual skills through games....as a result, my boys are champions every season!