Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dbcoach

Coaching And Using 4 Point Stance

Search for John T Reed or Jack Reed and the GAP-AIR-Mirror defense

www.johntreed.com

It's all about four point d-linemen and crabbing or bear crawling.

Search for John T Reed or Jack Reed and the GAP-AIR-Mirror defense

www.johntreed.com

It's all about four point d-linemen and crabbing or bear crawling.

Thanks coach, I'll see if I can get a copy.

Cheers,

dbc

I am not teaching my team JR. PEEWEE the 4 point stance until the can learn to get their butts up and backs flat with a majority of their weight on their down-hand. they should know the proper 3 pt. stance first.

When teaching your offensive linemen their stance, start with the 4 point stance, then move to a 3 point stance as needed.

4 point:

Stand with feet shoulder-width apart with weight balanced evenly on both feet and toes aligned.

Bend knees and rest forearm on inside of each thigh.

Reach straight out with both hands slightly in front of the shoulders.

Keep the back straight, head up, and shoulders even.

3 point:

Place the feet shoulder-width apart, in heel to toe relationship with dominant foot back.

Put very little weight on the down hand to allow for quick forward, backward, and lateral movement.

Place the less dominant arm loosely across the thigh.

Keep the back straight, with the head up to see defenders across the line of scrimmage. This position is the strongest and safest for back and neck.

I always ask a kid what hand he writes with and that should be the dominant hand down with the dominant foot back and this seems to speed the learning process up when teaching these two stances. I would work on these every practice for atleast 10 minutes. Stressing the fundamentals might bore most coaches, but I promise if you keep at it your players start to get it and when that light bulb finally clicks and they are comfortable in these 2 most important stances they will become fundamentally sound football players before you know.

I understand this thread was started regarding the 4 point stance, but through my own experience I feel strongly the two go hand and hand...