Y-coach.com - Forum
MadMaddox

Weekly Team Captain

Hello everyone,

My name is Cliff and I am coaching my first team of 5-6 year old flag football. I read in one of the threads about nominating a player of the week with a special jersey based on best effort in all areas and thought it was a great idea. After re-reading that post I realize I read it wrong and he decided to nominate that player at the first practice following the game and that player got to wear the jersey to practices. When I explained it to our team I stated that the player who demonstrated the greatest efforts throughout the practice week would get to wear the player of the week jersey at the game. We are currently going to use basic blue and grey Parks and Recreation shirts for games. Our season began last Friday with our first practice and no game over the weekend. We held a practice on Monday and will again on Friday before holding our first game this Saturday. My question is this: Do you feel that choosing a team captain before the game and allowing that player to wear the jersey is a good idea or should I switch it to the way it was originally written? Someone mentioned that the player of the week with a "cool" jersey may be singled out by the opponents in the game...idk. What are your thoughts? Also, I attached a pic of the jersey.

Thank you

post-101535-0-01169900-1410400030_thumb.

post-101535-0-78838300-1410400037_thumb.

Our league would not allow a jersey that was different from the standard uniform so that may be an issue. Personally I would not have a special jersey during the games, only during practices, but if the league allows it, it's up to you. Some parents may see it as favoritism, especially as the season goes on and their kid doesn't get to wear the jersey. I call out individual efforts at practice when its just me and the team, but on game days I always talk team, never individuals, in front of parents, other coaches. Just my way, not saying its right.

My question is this: Do you feel that choosing a team captain before the game and allowing that player to wear the jersey is a good idea or should I switch it to the way it was originally written? Someone mentioned that the player of the week with a "cool" jersey may be singled out by the opponents in the game...idk. What are your thoughts? Also, I attached a pic of the jersey.

Cool looking jerseys. I agree with Pat, wouldn't do it during the game, but I suspect the league wouldn't let you do it anyway.

Pat brings up a good point about who gets to wear the jersey as the season goes on. If the criteria for wearing the shirt is "best effort" , you might only end up with a handful of qualified candidates each week. You will run into kids who just aren't going to qualify based on best effort or kids who've worn the shirt and should get it each week. It can get awkward. At the 5-6 yr old rec level, I'm not sure that's the time to teach the "life's not fair and not everyone gets to wear the shirt lesson", but some may disagree.

If you go with a reward/award type system, I'd tend to go with a variety of weekly awards. Maybe getting two shirts and come up with different ways to win the honor of wearing them at practice. Some ideas: most improved, best sportsmanship, best flag puller, best hustler, best teammate with most high fives for other teammates, coolest socks, etc.. Each week you could pick two ways to win and go with that.

Thanks guys for the input. I ended up deciding against the jersey idea entirely for the very reasons you mentioned. I may revisit the idea in the future and implement it in a way you have suggested. I did decide to go with a reward/award type system. I got each player a folder and hand out "helmet" stickers for various efforts and they put them inside their football folders. Seems to be going over well so far. I like the coolest socks idea, thanks!