Y-coach.com - Forum
RCQuinnCoach

First Year Coach / 7 On 7 / 11 - 13 Yrs Olds / Wristbands With Plays ?

OK . . from what I have read so far . . you guys all seem VERY knowledgeable about this stuff . . I am a first year coach . . with zero coaching exprerience . . though I know more about football than most . . are the wristbands too complicated to use at this age? Anyone have some good defensive and offensive formations and plays to share? I have taken alot of advice from the site . . but I am not sure what applies to this age group and team size . . thanks for any help

Wrist bands are they best way to go lol...I gave my QB one and we were able to get huddled up faster and get more plays out of it.Worked incredible.I used a color and a number with a type of food for the plays lol...the kids laughed but it worked great.

OK . . from what I have read so far . . you guys all seem VERY knowledgeable about this stuff . . I am a first year coach . . with zero coaching exprerience . . though I know more about football than most . . are the wristbands too complicated to use at this age? Anyone have some good defensive and offensive formations and plays to share? I have taken alot of advice from the site . . but I am not sure what applies to this age group and team size . . thanks for any help

If your league allows a coach in the huddle, I'd go with a coach and clipboard of plays versus a wristband. If you are not allowed in the huddle, then maybe a wristband but I'm not sure. Personally I'd probably simplify the number of plays and have a player run them in each down, but that's just me.

I agree with Orange. If you are allowed in the huddle, I would just call the play from there. I typically go around the horn (very quickly) with everyone's assignments "LR-post, MR-slant, LG-pull left . . .", etc. I figure this is faster than them finding the play on their wristband and seeing what their assignment is. Of course I coach younger kids, so doubt wristbands would work at all.

Of course, you might not need any at all. Another option is simply for the kids to "learn" their plays. I'm really not trying to be smart here, but this seems overlooked sometimes. I had a player on my team last year who had a 12 year old brother would attend our practices. I was talking to him once about his wrist band, and asked why he was wearing it instead of simply remembering his plays. He just said, "I don't know, our coach just wants us to wear them."

By the time I was 11, I was playing tackle football and I specifically remember having a playbook and having to learn my position---no wristbands. Consequently, it is not a stretch (IMO) to look at that as an option as well.

Good luck!

Well the kids 11-13 can definitely learn the plays.I've coached like over 2 years of it and one season had up to around 20 plays.The kids knew all the plays.I try to keep it around 15.This season I'm going even less with the lack of practice time we are going to have because of refereeing...

But that age can definitely learn all the plays.I only had a wrist band so I could call the play in quicker to the QB

I'm a first time head coach of mostly 6-year olds in 5-5 flag football. I've assisted before with most of the kids on this team and am excited for the season. I feel like we have our defense put together pretty well, but struggle on offense.

I'm wondering if having wrist bands would help us turn the corner. I'm thinking of having maybe 5-6 plays that we run both to the left and right at the beginning of the season. I'll use a clip board with the play on it in addition to the wrist bands.

Will wrist bands be useful with 6-year old boys?

I don't think wristbands are necessary at this age level. Reasons to use wrist bands.

1.) Assist w/ getting the play into the huddle. Much easier to call out "Black 31" rather than "Twins Right, 31 Fullback Trap" for example when shuttling plays in from the sideline, less chance your shuttler forgets the play or screws it up.

2.) Ability to run a no huddle and call plays at the LOS.

I assume w/ 5/6 you will be in the huddle. Also not all 5 year-olds can read yet.

We shoot for 4 plays for the 1st game, series based that gets the ball to all 4 players off the same backfield action so essentially after the 1st play is master the other 3 players know their route or backfield action. Example.

1.) Dive with End Around Action Behind.

2.) Fake Dive give to End Around

3.) Center Drag pass or Center hand off. Fake Dive w/ PA and End Around Action.

4.) Quick pass to WR - Slant. Fake Dive w/ PA and End Around Action..

On each play the players runs the same route, you simple call out the "COLOR" or "NUMBER" of the player getting the ball.

1 - Green Dive

2 - Blue Reverse

3 - Center/Black Pass - We used "Dark Knight".

4 - Orange Pop

Once these are mastered you can put in a second 4 play series or add a couple of "special" one off plays. But getting a base series established that you players can run "in their sleep" is the 1st step. I had the same team for 2 season, season 1 we only ran in one direction, season 2 we flipped but I had 10 returning players and they were already familiar. If you feel the need to flip then I would make sure the entire series is down pat to one side before flipping. We used a "Twins" formation so the QB were told to always open up toward the twins. If you are balanced they may have a difficult time remembering which way to open in a game. Expect them to make these type of mistakes and accept it and just encourage.

So once your players learn their "route" in the series it is pretty easy to get them the ball.

Go with wrist bands.Keep your plays simple and they will be fine...i no longer coach flag but when i did we used wristbands to run no huddle.blew teams out the water.make your play names unique and you'll be fine.we usually got setup before the referee had even spotted the football.play fast and make the wristbands easy to read and you'll be fine